The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

mystery water

transparentdsm

so i got in 1078 today and its been raining pretty hard out lately, only to find that the drive front floor and the passenger rear floor are soaked. now none of my seats are wet, the headliner is dry, the doors are dry, nothing is showing signs of water coming in. does anyone have any idea where i might be getting water from? i pulled the carpet back a bit on it so i could try to identify, but there is to much rain coming down. its getting back, the interior is starting to smell moldy. im prolly going to have to gut the car.

presterone

What are the sunroof drains like in these cars? I've never had them apart but I'd be suspect of something like clogged drains.

G

Staff member
Probably corrosion in the windshield seal area.

transparentdsm

^ is that something that i could pull all the trim pieces off for, scrap and clean up and then just reseal? also how would this get to the rear passenger floor without making the front passenger floor wet?

Quoting presterone:
What are the sunroof drains like in these cars? I've never had them apart but I'd be suspect of something like clogged drains.

non-sunroof. and as i said its not leaking from above, a clogged drain would leak from the top. i only have water on my floor.

G

Staff member
No, you have to remove windshield.

prove_it

bad door seal, bad windshield seal. Pull your trim out so you can see the frame. Then shut all doors and have someone spray a hose on the car, then look for running water. It takes time to fix these things. Sometimes it can be something stupid simple to fix, but take hours to find.

boostx

Quoting G:
Probably corrosion in the windshield seal area.

I had the same problem with #23. Had to remove and reseal the windshield.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
bad door seal, bad windshield seal. Pull your trim out so you can see the frame. Then shut all doors and have someone spray a hose on the car, then look for running water. It takes time to fix these things. Sometimes it can be something stupid simple to fix, but take hours to find.

i just got a break in the weather and was able to remove all the seats the carpet and the door trim, but this is the direction i was headed in to begin with. all the door seals seem good, but who knows. for all i know the last people in the car didn't shut the doors all the way when they got out. no one has driven the car in 3 or 4 days and i pretty much dont drive it at all. i always sit up front though and that floor was dry...

cheekychimp

I haven"t got much to offer in the way of advice on where the leak originated but many years ago, I left my sun roof open at work by accident and during the course of my shift the heavens opened. I came back to an absolutely soaked car. I wiped down the dash and centre console, drained out the cup holders etc but ended up just locking the car up and getting the bus home. The next day I came back and it was 38 degrees and brilliant sunshine and the car was like a sauna ... Literally! I mean the entire car was filled with steam. I opened all the doors and switched on the fan to clear it all out and the cloth, carpets, door cards etc were absolutely bone dry and so so clean. It really was a poor man's steam clean and I never had any issues with smells etc.

The only thing years later was I discovered some rusting on the seat rails. So I'd say just get the car under some sun if the weather is warm enough.

G

Staff member
Not in the red circle but above that below the glass is where they corrode.

4crf.jpg

G

Staff member
vgt5.jpg

transparentdsm

thank you very much, i actually just solved this issue about 3 days ago. after i took the carpet out of her car she was upset that it looked so shabby so we decided to dye the carpet black. while i had the carpet out i borrowed my neighbors pressure washer and hosed the snot out of the car with it.... the door seals are all messed up and letting water seep in behind so i just bent the top of the doors in a little bit and presto no more water in the wifes car and her carpet now looks a lot better. there are still some stains in the carpet, but there was a lot of rust and other sh*t really stuck in the carpet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned