The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

running a sohc ka24 on a dsm ecu.

presterone

My friend is going to try and run his datsun with a turbo ka sohc engine on a dsm ecu with a jackal speed density setup. I think the largest hurdle will be machining something to run the crank angle sensor off of the distributor. If anyone has any input or similar experience let me know. I've heard of people running hondata ecus with toyota 3sgte engines so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Street Surgeon

Lucas English ran a DOHC (KA24DE) off of a 1G ecu, you might be able to give him a call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5OF2k

You can definitely do it. There is a guy here in the Springs running a Miata with a DSM based turbo setup on it, runs a 1g ECu and Link V3 in SD. It can be done, it'll just take some wiring and so-on. Also be prepared to use a DSM gauge cluster.

-Jake

presterone

So the ka24 distributor spins the same amount as the crank where on our cars the CAS spins x2 faster than the crank. We may be better off slotting the cam to mount the CAS.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting presterone:
So the ka24 distributor spins the same amount as the crank where on our cars the CAS spins x2 faster than the crank. We may be better off slotting the cam to mount the CAS.

... been drinkin ... but that doesn't sound right

I *believe* our cams/cas spin half speed, same as the cams/dizzy in the ka motor

(takes two revolutions of the crank to make one turn for the cam/cas/distributor)

... The cas *should* be relatively easy

Just gut the nissan distributor, ginzu the distributor housing as required, (leave the top bearing a long service life) and then fab a drive/slot on what's left of the o.e. shaft.

A slotted collar *might* just work tits
(collar that presses onto the o.e. shaft with a drive slot cut into the top to spin the cas)

get it lined up/set up where you like it and then drill/pin it or break out the welder and make it permanent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

done

Now, the injestors may be another story

... isn;t that a side feed injector set-up?

Last edited:

presterone

Haha yea I had it wrong woops! im not sure if the nissan injectors are top or side feed. Worse case scenario we have to fab up a fuel rail, no biggie.

presterone

Actually he has bigger injectors anyway so we will have to splice the injector connectors regardless.

You may definitely do it. There is a guy here in the rises operating a Miata with a DSM centered turbo compresseur installation on it, operates a 1g ECU and Web link V3 in SD. It can be done, it'll just take some cabling and so-on. Also be ready to use a DSM evaluate group.

Last edited by a moderator:

tektic

The Nissan ecus are just as tunable, So unless its just for bragging rights you might as well stick with the Nissan stuff. Your going to be fabbing parts of sensors and or extensively rewriting code to make it work right. It can be done just not as easily as some other ways.

presterone

But not for the money. He was looking at a nistune setup and it would be almost $600 to get the setup and then it would take a long time to learn how to use it. I can at tune with jackal good enough to get it running and we have a dyno in my garage to get the car dialed in perfectly. Considering I have a lot of the parts that he will need and weighing up the costs this is the one of the best options. No I would not just do this for bragging rights we both make very little money.

tektic

If its odb1 I have a basic tune I can send you. You need a daughter board for the stock ecu and a prom burner. Should cost abou t $100 for both

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned