The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Torquing down crankshaft bolt with some issues and questions

4G63_GSR

Upon researching best way to bolt on a new sprocket on tuners we put the timing belt back on while I made sure the cams didn't move and my brother torque down the sprocket bolt. In the couple of attempts we did the sprocket slipped off the belt and turned. That feeling didn't sit right so I left it at that for now. I'm hoping we didn't screw anything up. Now the crank shaft timing marker ofcourse is no longer aligning up with the camshaft timing markers. How much damage to the valvetrain can I do by hand if I try to align the crankshaft marker withouth the TB on? Otherwise I think we'll need to pull the head and start all over.

prove_it

When turning the crank by hand you can't damage the valves. It will get too hard to turn before you do damage. If it doesn't turn easy then stop, and pull the cam caps off to take pressure off the valves. The you can align the crankshaft back up. For now just leave the crank bolt tight by hand. Then tighten the bearing caps and set the timing. One you got it all back together put all four wheels on the ground set the ebrake and leave it in 1st gear. This will hold the crank still so you can tighten the crank bolt down all the way.

4G63_GSR

Thanks for the feedback!

460GVR4

are you using a torque wrench or an impact gun? Impacts will not rotate the assembly (never had in my experience with snap on cordless impact)

4G63_GSR

Torque wrench.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
When turning the crank by hand you can't damage the valves.

This is definitely not true. I have seen it happen. Not much bending, but enough not to seal anymore.

prove_it

really? I haven't seen it happen but I suppose it could if your turning the crank fast and not feeling for the resistance. Good input.

Oh and technically impacts are bad for cranks because of the vibration. Although I do use an impact at work all the time for this. On my own car though, I've never impacted the crank bolts.

Last edited:

luis84one

What kind of damage can an impact do to a crank? I used an impact to remove the pulley on the motor im rebuilding.

prove_it

In theory, the vibrations can cause minor cracking and failure. Again, that's in theory and I have yet to ever see this in real life. It is preached by the honda/acura engineers. When it comes to my own car, I use a torque wrench on everything. I'm way more anal on my own stuff.

Are you using a twisting wrench or an effect gun? Effects will not move the set up (never had in my encounter with click on wireless impact).

Edit: Nice link...

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned