The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crankcase pressure

broncfan56

I fixed a crankcase pressure problem a while back by simply replacing the pcv valve and have not had any problems since. Since then I have been thinking about doing what was done here. It sounds great, however, I would like to run check valves in place of the PCV valves, and a sealed catch can on the air intake lines. I cannot decide if adding the catchcan will diminish airflow, or if it is really ok to just run the lines to the intake pipe and say to hell with the possible blowby.

Loren

GreenGSX

I don't have an answer for you about having or not having a catch can before the turbo but I ended up with the catch can and its totally solved my crankcase issues. Here is what and how I did mine.

click

SouthCaliVR4

A catch can on either the vent or the pcv will not cause any issue. I am running one on both. check valves wil either never open or clog enough not to seal rather quickly. Adding cleaning the pcv valves to your oil change regimin will help greatly. Do not do what they did there!!! You will load your intake turbo & intercooler with oil.

There are turbo dedicated pcv systems out there but you should be ok with the OE one unless you're running crazy boost. And when I say OE I mean from Mitsu the after market ones are meant for non turbo cars & just happen to fit thus are sold to us as well.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I would do catch cans. I run the dual unit from here >> click Mine just vta but i'm running speed density.

5OF2k

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
A catch can on either the vent or the pcv will not cause any issue. I am running one on both. check valves wil either never open or clog enough not to seal rather quickly. Adding cleaning the pcv valves to your oil change regimin will help greatly. Do not do what they did there!!! You will load your intake turbo & intercooler with oil.

There are turbo dedicated pcv systems out there but you should be ok with the OE one unless you're running crazy boost. And when I say OE I mean from Mitsu the after market ones are meant for non turbo cars & just happen to fit thus are sold to us as well.

I disagree, as I've had that EXACT unit in the post from Jack's on my car in the past and it helped like crazy. nothing on it was loaded with oil, either. Not only that, the motor was smoking a little bit under full boost and completely stopped, I lost the smell of fuel in my oil, and my oil stayed WAY cleaner.

I'll be doing another one just like it on #5, simply because I've seen the benefits firsthand. Also, I doubt he'd go through the trouble of documenting his successes with that specific setup if it didnt work perfectly, they just arent like that over there.

Also, the OE setup doesnt help majority of people with SMIM, FWIW; there's rarely(if ever) a port on a SMIM for the PCV.

Hope that helps!

SouthCaliVR4

The problem I see with the set up he linked. He says he has crankcase vac under full boost. Both pcv valves will be closed so the only source of vacuum at that point will be a restrictive intake verses the amount of air his turbo's trying to pull. meaning all blow by is being sucked into the intake with no catch can. while it may not load up in the intake or turbo when it condenses in the intercooler it will stay there & coat the inside of the core greatly reducing it's efficiency.

throw a couple catch cans in there it would be fine but a direct route I believe will cause issues down the road.

broncfan56

Thanks everyone for the input it is greatly appreciated. I am planning on getting a new tune and pushing it a little farther up the go fast scale (as if I wasn't pushing it hard enough already...). I believe having one of these in place before I do that is a good safety measure for my wallet.

Loren

tektic

I too read this thread and thought it had some merit.

This is what I settled on. I haven't run my setup yet but it is complete. I ported both factory holes on the valve cover as well as the intake manifold. They are now taped with 1/4" npt threaded hose barbs and plastic check valves will be used as well as a modified Ebay catch can.

Pictures can be found Here & here

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned