The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

misfire with COP setup

galant651

just installed a used COP setup. went in great, look great and runs awesome except at cruising speeds, slight accel and slight decel, it starts to misfire. its really starting to piss me off especially when 45 out of 50 miles daily is on the interstate. any help is greatly appreciated.
i know all the coils and wiring is good because it idles perfect and does great under acceleration, its just when you start to level out it starts misfiring.

LIV4PSI

It's a common problem with COP setups. They should be ran with an ARC II ignition to actually be an upgrade.

Did you check your spark plug gap?

Brianawd

what coils are you running? You may need to replace the boots and coil leads that go to the plugs. I had to replace mine once a year. They are cheap at carquest or any other auto parts store. I ran mine with No CDI box plugs gapped to 26 running e85 at 30psi. Mine was the BR unit.

Gizmovr4

I have been running Curtis cop for a few years in 431 without additional ignition box- no issues to 43psi. I would check as others said : plug gap, coil boots&spring.I did have one of the ground wires get caught under the cop plate - causing misfires.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

i know this isnt a direct answer but a lot of good info here

click

prove_it

I built a dual ignitor setup if you wanna buy it off of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

galant651

first thing i checked today was my gap. somehow it was around .015. not sure how, bumped it up to about .03 and it runs alot better. i still have a fairly consistant misfire at highway speeds though but it is good now every where else. the weird thing though is its only at cruising speed and works great at high load.

EHmotorsports

You are using dialectic grease on the boots correct?

boostx

Sounds like you have a bad coil.

galant651

i havent been using dialetric grease, but i think i about got it nailed down. i checked my tps and my timing. tps was a little bit high but im happy with it. went to check timing and forgot i dont have wires! so i started changing it listening to my exhaust beat. got it pretty good and went and drove it. drives alot better, idles alot better and hardly any miss. turns out i was a couple degrees to far advanced. i might retard it just a little bit more and see how it does. but im satisfied for now. thanks everyone for the input and info.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned