The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel odor occasionally in my cabin - BONUS: where's the fuel filter?

EfiniX

I'd like to check my lines from front to back, but on the off-chance this is a common issue, why not ask first.

Also, I've seen photos of 1g's with the filter under the hood, but the galant just appears to have a hard-pipe which hands off to a braided rubber hose that connects to the FPR on the end of the fuel rail. So I figure it's either under the car around the back DS tire, or you get to it somewhere in the trunk. Since the days are quite reliably sunny here in Portland, I'm apprehensive to start pulling stuff apart only to get halfway through and have to ride my motorcycle around in the rain as a result.

EHmotorsports

You are looking at the fuel return line. The supply line is on the passenger side. Look at the fuel rail and follow the line to the passenger side. The filter is there on the firewall.

gvr4ever

Follow the fuel rail on the passenger side back to the fuel filter opposite side of the FPR. As far as smelling fuel, check the injector to intake manifold gaskets that seat the injectors. They can get shrunken and cracked.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Thanks (to you and Evan).

I never smell fuel under the hood, but I'll certainly check the seals. It's always in the car and around the trunk. No performance issues, so I've just sort of chalked it up to the gas cap breathing.

and jeez, I didn't think to look on the other side of the intake.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

EHmotorsports

there is a rubber Hose that attaches to the fuel pump. also if you have broken studs on the tank you could have a leak at that point.

EfiniX

Thanks, EH.

I'm counting the days until the racing season ends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

mitsuturbo

Quoting EfiniX:
Since the days are quite reliably sunny here in Portland, I'm apprehensive to start pulling stuff apart only to get halfway through and have to ride my motorcycle around in the rain as a result.

You live in the PNW. If you don't ride in the rain, you'll never ride at all.

EfiniX

Nah. I get 4-5 months of good riding in a year. AWD for the rest of the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts