The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Suspension choices what would you do?

tektic

I have a stock ggsx setup on my car.
I have a set of tel ground control coilovers on gr2s (front + rear).
I can't get them off the gr2s.
I can buy a set of EVO 8 struts and springs (front + rear) for $100.

Do I buy the EVO setup or make what I have work somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:

thecman02

I'd get those GC's off the gr2's and put them on the evo struts. I'd have the bottom spring perch trimmed down so when you get some adjustable camber plates you can dial in camber if it is desired. If money is tight just throw the old tel setup on the galant.

tektic

I guess I should have said this. I'm looking for improved performance on a solid dd.

BpuVR4

i supposedly have an Evo 8 setup on my car- came that way. I love it...is perfectly stiff enough for me, but i don't have the tires to push it, nor do i autox or take it to the strip. It feels great for daily driving useage in my opinion.

5OF2k

I had a set of GCs on GR2's on my car and i loved it, matter fact drove it 50+ miles a day for over a year with that setup.

Either or, you'll be fine. I say go with whichver is cheapest!

-Jake

tektic

Can you tell me your spring rates for you ground control setup?
the one I have is 358lbs./in. Front 275 lbs./ Rear

5OF2k

I'll check it out when I get home this evening and let you know, I dont have them in front of me at the moment. I'll also get you the spring part #s for comparison/etc.

-Jake

mitsuturbo

Just about anything would be an improvement over stock GGSX suspension. I've had a couple of those cars, and they seem like they're riding on a cloud. VERY soft, and lots of body roll. Keep in mind that simply tossing something from the back of a DSM onto the back of a galant is going to cause the rear to sit too low. You'll have to bring those springs up a bit in the rear. Front should be fine, though. My car currently sits perfectly level with Eibach Pro Kit springs on the front and Stock springs in the rear, all from a DSM. Spring rate in the rear im sure isn't what it should be, but at least it looks and rides "decent".

My next mod is to be BC coilovers, so I'll get to see what the difference is once that goes in.

tektic

I would like to know those part numbers of Eibach springs in your set. that would be great thanks.

I only drove My GGSX once. For 50 miles it had excessive roll and poor overall handling characteristics.

My evo suspension deal fell through. The guy didn't have a full set of struts, just one of each. full set of springs though.

I currently have awd tel gr2s and stock uncut Gsx springs on the front of my daily driven 1991 fwd nt eclipse, with fwd rear gr2 shocks and gsx springs. Ride is good over all but The front sits higher than it should. I guess its because the fwd rear shocks in the back are holding down the Gsx springs. I'm going to use the ground controls in the front of that eclipse and put the gr2 tel spring on the Galant. and the gc coil in the rear of the Galant to hopefully get everything level.

or maybe full set of gc's on galant if part numbers are close enough. Ten cut the ggsx springs in lower the front of my eclipse.

I have never tried to cut a spring before. What happens if you cut from the top and from bottom of a spring? Can you preserve where the beginning and the end align with the spring perches this way? Another question I had was it possible to cut a spring horizontally? My thinking behind this is it will lower it a little more but overall length will stay longer and it would be less likely to move if the load was taken off of that corner.

Last edited:

5OF2k

Why would you separate the GC setup? Keep it together, put it on the car, call it good enough. The adjustability of ride height and increases spring rates are worth it, seriously. I couldnt even imagine how sketch that thing would hadle with GCs in the back ans T/E/L springs in the front.....yikes!

The most straightforward thing I can recommend to you, is to install a complete set of springs, whichever you choose. Theyre designed to be used together as a set, not half and half. I've also never been a fan of cutting springs. IMHO, short of rattle can primering the entire car and using cobra eyes and tire flys, that's the MOST GHETTO thing you can do to a car. Do it right, do it once.

-Jake

tektic

Yeah it's not a good idea. I put the front gc's in my eclipse to even out the ride height. I don't really like them too much. I don't want to use them on my galant for a few reasons. There's an allen nut stuck in one of them so its at a fixed height. They make more noise than I would like. They are just a used set i had lying around. I may swap in the rears gc's I may not. Either way the one on the driver side had to be set way higher than the one on the passenger side to even out the drop, and that was without my ass in the driver seat.

I agree about the cutting of springs, thats why I have never done it. I figured if i started with a bigger than stock spring it might be different.

For the galant I'm going to wait for another set of evo 8 suspension take offs to pop up at a decent price.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned