The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why did we get a different first gear and why is our idle higher?

Just curious...weight difference? No lower honeycomb?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

compared to what?

turbowop

Compared to a 1g DSM.

I'm not sure why the difference. Both are negligible, IMO. But the GVR4 1st gear is weaker, so it's a poor choice if you plan to make power and launch the car.

ktmrider

Extra weight of the car is what I hear cited most.

Also keeps the cogs "closer ratio" lower speed duties.

And idle is higher for 4WS ( extra load on engine ).

Read up on occasion OP, 99% of your questions/posts are already asked/answered.

Last edited:

prove_it

Because,

Rallycar......

1941Galant

Quoting ktmrider:

I thought that the 4WS was powered by the pump driven by the rear diff, not the P/S pump.

Thanks for that info. No need to make smart ass comments like telling me to read up on occasion. The "almighty" Turbowop didn't have an answer either and you didn't say jack to him did you? If you feel like posting is a waste of time, don't answer my threads. You have no idea how much I read or what areas I read into. Alot of my focus is dedicated to other areas like tunerpro where it is very difficult to get information for.

Quoting ktmrider:

gvr4ever

Quoting turbowop:
Compared to a 1g DSM.

I'm not sure why the difference. Both are negligible, IMO. But the GVR4 1st gear is weaker, so it's a poor choice if you plan to make power and launch the car.

Is the material weaker, or just more prone to break because of the taller gear ratio?

I agree, unless you are building a drag car, don't worry about it. I find with regular spirited street driving, 1st can be over pretty quickly. If you want to drag race, might want a 1st gen FWD gear. That thing is short.

@gvr4ever...is it shorter or taller...meaning does it wind out quicker or not? Just curious and yes it will be a non dd drag vehicle since there is a track that will be built very close to my house. It will still be limited by the E316g though. Thanks

prove_it

The stock VR4 1st gear is weaker. I shattered mine at 280whp s16g making a left turn and powering on to slide out on dry pavement. And I do mean shattered. I was already moving about 5mph too, wasn't a hard launch.

prove_it

Don't say I didn't tell you. I also had a 4 bolt rear with 225 wide tires. stock tires would have spun before breaking it.

@prove_it...I'll say it, but I'd be lying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What sort of tranny fluid did you have in there at the time? Not saying that tranny fluid is the end all or even the beginning. Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Syncromesh. I switched to the Redline trans cocktail and won't go back.

ktmrider

Quoting blkchr91:
Thanks for that info. No need to make smart ass comments like telling me to read up on occasion. The "almighty" Turbowop didn't have an answer either and you didn't say jack to him did you? If you feel like posting is a waste of time, don't answer my threads. You have no idea how much I read or what areas I read into. Alot of my focus is dedicated to other areas like tunerpro where it is very difficult to get information for.

Quoting ktmrider:

f*** off yourself asswipe. Waste the other people's time and knowledge then.

Done with this board, final straw in a lazy ass world. Peace out.

Good riddance, make sure you wipe your own ass. I'd like to see you really unregister...probably too lazy you hypocrite.

That is what I am running now. My 3rd gear is more of an issue for whatever reason. Kind of notchy...no grind though. Doesn't seem to matter what fluid I put in the tranny. Never have been able to get to the bottom of it. I'll just run it until it becomes a big deal or if something else breaks.

Quoting prove_it:
Syncromesh. I switched to the Redline trans cocktail and won't go back.

5OF2k

which are you referring to when you say redline trans cocktail?

I use MT-90, but the Diaqueen EVO9 MR fluid is just as adequate, if not better than MT-90. EIther one really works fantastic though, FWIW.

-Jake

Redline cocktail is a mix of MT-90/MTL. If I remember correctly, the first quart is MT-90, second quart is MTL. Third quart is whatever MTL-90 will fit in there. Now in my car, I ran out of MT-90 so the arrangement is inverse e.g. First quart is MTL, second quart is MT-90, 3rd quart is MTL. That is the way the Evo guys do it. Not sure how different their transmissions are.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts