The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Diff Grinding/Diff fluid recomendations

Number996

Hey Guys!

We to drive to work this morning and seems a muffled grinding has developped. It's coming from the rear of the car and only makes noise when i downshift a decelerate in gear. Soon as i touch the gas or push the clutch in the car rolls with no noise. So i think it's my rear differential.

I haven't swapped diff fluid since i've had the car because other parts and work have taken priority. I believe it's still a 4 bolt diff.

What gear fluid do you guys use??

prove_it

Shockproof heavyweight.

I warn you though, fluid may not fix it, as it sounds like the bearings are out and it needs a rebuild. A fluid change may quiet it down, but it's not a fix.

CutlassJim

Yup your rear end is getting tired. It's either a bearing going out or the shims getting weak giving you excessive lash on decel. Rebuild time.

Wizardawd

Agreed, #17 did that the day we picked it up. 250k miles on it took it's toll. I ended up swapping to a 4bolt LSD instead of rebuilding the stock rear.

Wiz

Heavyweight Shockproof...problem seemed to have started when I put the shockproof in...never noticed it prior....unless someone masked the sound by using another fluid prior to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

Probably, shockproof has been proven for years now in thousands of DSM's.

That was the theory someone else had too. Guess I'll drive it until it grenades.

EfiniX

I'll support this as well. Shockproof heavy in the transfer and diff. Diaqueen in the tranny.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned