The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FWD Auto Trans VS AWD Auto Trans - Conversion help!

bazeng

Hi All,

I searched but could not find.
There is talk about AWD swaps but not FWD swaps.

Basically I want to convert my AMG Galant to an automatic.
I daily drive the car and would like to return some comfort into the car.

I'll be selling the VR4 RS gearbox with kaaz 1.5 way front LSD and TRE centre spool. The twin plate will also go.

So my question,

Will a FWD Gearbox from a GALANT SE (N/A base model E33A Galant) hold the power I currently have for the street. The car is making about 280-300kw's at the front wheels.

If not, will the VR4 box hold the power?
Kiggly's website states that the F4A33 is ideal (what he is using). I have access to a W4A33 box from a JSPEC Galant.

Any feedback appreciated.

The less work I have to do the better!

biglady112

I built an eagle summit with the KM176(f4a21 basically). It is the small tranny with only the three steels and two clutches. The turbo/larger transmissions have double the clutches and steels. That car is currently on a maxed out 14b type setup. The car has a 1.6L 4G61. The car made 243hp 248tq to the wheels on a dynojet. It was having a lot of issues with slow shifts and flaring even before the turbo conversion. The blue wire mod helped tremendously with the flaring. We then installed a shift box and all of the flaring disappeared and the shifts were lightning fast.

We also rebuilt the transmission in house here with basic rebuild parts from Transtar. It was burning the fluid easily before the blue wire mod and the shift box. It has been very happy for the last 18 months since the upgrades. We also made our own cooler setup with -6 lines as well to help. This car is a fwd just like you are looking for. If you go to YouTube and look up my screen name, there is some video of it. It shows iton pump gas before all the mods flaring badly. The dyno videos are with the cooler installed and all the mods done. The car is a blast. I would love to own it again if my friend would sell it back to me. The automatics are just a joy to drive.

Last edited:

fuel

The Galant SE box is the F4A22/KM175 and I would not really recommend that much power going through one. I am unsure what the TR/TS 4cyl Magna autos use, I suspect they are a F4A33 which if that is the case is a better box to use.

bazeng

Thanks for that info. I have a lot of learning to do with Automatics.
I don't even know what flaring is!

So this is what I've learnt:

Galant VR-4 (USA/JAPAN/AUS) -
AWD Auto: W4A33

To confirm:

Galant GSR / SE (AUS) -
FWD Auto: F4A33 (Hopefully - will need to check at the wreckers)

bazeng

Quoting fuel:
The Galant SE box is the F4A22/KM175 and I would not really recommend that much power going through one. I am unsure what the TR/TS 4cyl Magna autos use, I suspect they are a F4A33 which if that is the case is a better box to use.

Thanks for that.

If the SE box is rubbish, the next would be to check the GSR.
If that is the same, I'll check Magna's.

I wonder if mounts will be the same on the Magna?
Also curious about flex plates etc.

It would be great if it was all bolt in.
The less mucking around the better......

biglady112

While I am not disputing what fuel is saying, I have actual experience with one of the small trannies still on the road. I assure you with the things we did it will live a happy life. Maybe not at 350 or 400hp, but mid 200's seems to be just fine.

bazeng

I have found a F4A33 gearbox but not sure how it will bolt up.

The starter motor is at the front of the block (where the manual clutch slave cylinder goes).

Is this normal?

Here is a photo.

bazeng

I think I need the earlier version with a different bell housing?
I believe internals may be the same...

Anybody know?

Here is what I need.

fuel

Quoting bazeng:
I have found a F4A33 gearbox but not sure how it will bolt up.

The starter motor is at the front of the block (where the manual clutch slave cylinder goes).

Is this normal?

Here is a photo.

That transmission is from a V6 - looks to be 1st gen 6G72 3.0L (magna) as the roll stop mounts are on the engine block as opposed to transmission (like the 6A12 F4A33 from HJ Galant).

fuel

Quoting bazeng:
Maybe this is what I need:

Magna 2nd Generation F4A33

This should work as Magna 4G54 share the same bellhousing pattern as the VR-4 4G63.

fuel

Definitely not. The V6 bellhousing is no where even close to bolting up to the 4cyl.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned