The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help Lowering 60 ft at Drag strip!

pyro719

Went to the track Last Sunday and only able to get a 1.89 60 ft. I'm pretty sure this car should be able to do 1.6's at least? I did not get the 1-2 shift off quick enough and hit the limiter both passes but I think the 60 ft is before first gear runs out? Any way, here are some vids for you guys to critique Thanks in advance!

galant vr4 fp red 29 psi - YouTube

20130421_130303.mp4 - YouTube

5OF2k

I HIGHLY doubt the 1-2 shift is after the 60' mark, sir. Especially if that trans has the DSM 1st.

When you're launching, are you pre-loading at all?

Also, you're most likely just going to have to practice practice practice. Get good and quick at shifting 1-2, because you'll need it. Sure, you'll be able to get a decent 1.6 out of the car but it's not going to happen right off the bat and without launching a million times. Even with mine being as laggy as it is and only at 14psi, 1st is near useless and shorter than I can explain.

Let the learning curve start!

-Jake

turbowop

Back in the day when I went to the strip more often, I would usually average 60ft times in the mid to low 1.7's. I had a couple of rare high 1.6's, and a few low 1.8's mixed in as well. On an average modded car, anything in the 1.6's is getting out of the hole pretty damn hard, IMO.

thecman02

As others said, preloading works really well and having some sticky tires will do wonders. Sometimes it just depends on the track prep too. Weekends after nation nhra/ihra events usually has axle snapping traction.

matt92vr4

I'm always thrilled with 1.6's and content with 1.7's. I didn't hit 1.5's until the car was running 9's...with a manual. The ATX pulled 1.3's.

In your slip, I think you are on the right. Trapping 98 in the 1/8 is good for a low to mid 11 1/4. I have never been able to pull better than a 1.6 with those traps.

5OF2k

I dont know if he mentioned it, but he's also doing this on street tires.

Either way, with the right launch you should still be able to get it down to a 1.6.

curtis

Do some research on using the ebrake to preload and learn how to come out on the clutch, drop ebrake and full gas all at the same time. Shits violent but works

James

I wish my Ebrake worked xD

pyro719

Couple things I didnt mention .I am on street tires air pressure was 51 psi like it says on the sidewall. 2 step is set to 5900 building 10 psi of boost. Jake you are probably right about first gear running out before the 60 ft mark. I need to get off a clean 1-2 shift and I think it'll do a lot better since I hit the limiter in both vids lol Anybody ever lauch in second?

5OF2k

Holy tire pressure!!

It should be WAY lower than that, by at least 20 psi. Never set the tire pressure based on the sidewall "max psi" rating, you'll wind up with tires that have a strip right down the middle thats lower and wearing faster than the others. Also, with the tire being that hard it wont get the flex it needs to grip the pavement.

Second, that 2step seems quite high. I'd try lowering it to around 5-5200. Launching with it that high on a turbo like the red will make first gear useless, and the launches way too violent, which will most likely lead to wheel hop qnd therefore less traction. You want the weight transfer of the lauch to be as smoothe as possible, which will make the rear tires plant rather than slam into the pavement.

Third: launchig in second is not necessary or advised. I tend to think you'll break some stuff if you do it, and with how the gearig is you'll actually slow the 60' down significantly.

Hope that helps nick!!

thecman02

For my launches I feel like I've had really good luck with a high rpm low boost take off. I've turned off antilag and have the two step around 6k(1.7-1.6) . I usually make a little boost. I feel like I get off the line with less wheel spin and the clutch doesn't have to be "feathered" as long. On the 4.5-5k antilag launches I have to limit the power going down a lot with the clutch. If I engage quick I just end up with a tire melting mess (1.7-1.8).

biglady112

I did a 1.61 sixty foot on regular street tires last year in a pump gas, full weight Evo. It was my second pass only in the car, and I had never driven it before eitehr. I only ran 11.900@116. I pretty much drive like a badass though. Yes I will pat myself on the back. I have been racing for a very long time and have what is known as the Driver Mod in my pocket. This was up at Bandimere at a regular street car day as well. Minimal to no track prep. While it is better than PMI, the car was still having traction issues with the other driver.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I have thousands of passes and about 15 years under my belt.

Racah15

The most important piece of advice (IMHO) is don't go to PMP. I spun my tires with my stock 1g. Every single time. Their track isn't very sticky, and even though they just re-did it, it's still terrible. If you want good times hit Bandi. Practically the same distance from C-Cosprings

Last edited:

pyro719

Just looked at link and the launch control was set to turn off at 8mph. I set it to 4mph and now it just blows the tires off lol got the shifts off perfect.

Last edited:

biglady112

What works on the street will likely not be the same thing that works at the track. Especially if you change tire pressures or tires.

matt92vr4

I like running high tire pressures. I've never run 51psi though. On a awd street car I usually run about 44. As long as you have traction, keep the pressures up.

5OF2k

You can, but when your tires wear prematurely and only in the center, them being over inflated is the cause.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts