The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo housing/hot side

gvr4ever

Does anyone just sell a turbo housing for a 16G series turbo? I have bolts sheared off on mine and I just can't get them out. Its preventing me from putting my car back together.

Does anyone sell just the hot side cast iron turbo housing?

prove_it

FWIW, I can repair broken off bolts. I found a hardened steel insert that I install which helps and holds awesome. It's best if I can get to them before trying yourself.

$30 bucks parts&labor +shipping to and from... PM me.

Oh and I can port and polish it too.

Last edited:

prove_it

The inserts I use drill the hole larger then install a locking insert. Similar to a helicoil, except it's one solid piece. If the hole is too big, I get it welded up, then tap it out.

Another idea is you can have a machine shop drill out the bolts, then have a welder weld up the holes and drill and tap them. The housing isn't shot, they can be repaired. It does cost money though.

You can call FP and see how much a new one is. Look around there might be a used one around too. Do not try an ebay chinese one. I had one that the wastegate fell out of.

If it's a genuine 7cm 16g housing, I might buy it off of you if you get something else.

gvr4ever

Prove it, thanks for the offer to help. I took it to the same machine shop who did the head and they quoted me $25 a bolt. I went local to save time more then anything, but be glad I didn't ship it to you. They spent 5 hours and broke 5 bits and the machine shop good guy didn't charge me anymore then they quoted me.

Now, maybe I can start to put this bitch back together and remember what its like to actually drive.

Ralli380Gvr4

FP is having a special on their 8cm hotsides....Pretty good deal if you ask me, Click

CutlassJim

I love that all FP products get a nice photo shoot from a bunch of angles and the DSM part has 2 iPhone shots on a desk with a license plate frame.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:
FP is having a special on their 8cm hotsides....Pretty good deal if you ask me, Click

So I am not a turbo expert and don't really pay much attention to them. Can I put a regular 14b cartridge and compressor side onto this (I believe so because it say TD05)? What is the advantage?

citymunky

More exhaust gases flow.

The stock hotsides are 6cm, most posted hotsides are 7cm, that is 8cm.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well that is a given, but not necessarily beneficial. Given a specfic exhaust from the engine (no other changes or larger compressor side) through a larger pipe would equal lower velocity. So what's the advantage?

prove_it

Pushing a 14b to 22psi....

About it. 8cm is too big for a 14b. You'll never need that much housing. A 16G will make some use through it, but there a 7cm is best. Bastard 20g, similar, and bigger will be best with this housing.

CutlassJim

Ummm I'd like you to prove it. Even on something as "small" as a 14B a larger housing would be nice. The larger the cm on the same trim wheel is like having a larger A/R on a Garrett, same thing actually. You will have a higher boost threshold but have less back pressure in the exhaust manifold which relates to more HP per psi and less heat stacking in the system. 20 psi on the intake side is something like 50+ psi in the exhaust on a 16G for a ratio of 2.5+:1. 80s F1 cars had

prove_it

I'm talking street use Mitsu set-ups, not F1 twin turbo set-ups that last only one or two races before replacement is needed.

Your right about the reduced back pressure will help overall flow which does create a more efficient turbo. In case of the 14B though, your going to max it out at around 34lbs/min. Sure you can try go up to 30psi and maybe squeak out a little more flow, but That is if you want to blow a crap load of super heated air into the intercooler. Perhaps if you had an incredibly efficient intercooler it would be good. Then yes you would need a bigger housing to support that additional flow.

But...

A 14b will hit it's choke at around 20psi anyway, so all that goes out the window. Look at all the record breaking 14b cars. They run the stock ported 6cm housing for a reason. It puts the turbo into the sweet spot. Sure if you have a stroker motor the extra flow will help, but then the 14b wont deliver the air needed anyway.

My point is, why spend so much money and effort into pushing a 14b so hard and end up with 300ish whp? You can buy the FP68hta (basically a 20G) for less than 1k and that will flow up to 48lbs/min efficiently. That turbo was designed around the 8cm housing. From what I've heard it can push past that, but then the housing is the weak link.

My 14b with a 7cm housing maxed out at 20spi still only made 280whp. After 6k it was worthless too.

citymunky

I wouldn't run a 8cm on a 14B. I would use a 8cm housing with a TD06 or TD06H turbine wheel.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned