The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

8.5" wheel with evo struts?

89Patches

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone is running a 8.5" wide rim on evo 8/9 struts or will they even fit?
Only reason is I got a awesome deal on a set of RPF1's (8.5" +30mm) and I plan one running 225/45/17 continental wet slicks
and they are equivalent to a 255/40/17 street tire. I did try searching but seems everyone is running stock evo enkei's.

Any info would be great, Just want to know before I buy a set.

Thanks,

nsin

Im runnin Rg2 8.5 +31 on v710s 275/40/17, w/bc coilover. Front does rub, when turning hard.

Last edited:

EMX5636

I can't verify because I already have coilovers, but I don't think you are going to fit with a full size spring. If you did a set of Ground Control sleeves on the Evo struts and ditched the perches, you would be fine. I know a 8.5" or 9" with a 30mm offset is only about an inch from my 2.5" spring.

turbofonz

I know my 8" 35 offset wheels fit fine with evo 8 struts and 235/45 or 245/40 17"s. The wheels will be going back on soon so I can check clearance again, I know it's pretty close to the strut.

89Patches

As of right now I am unsure since I have seen stock evo's with 9" wide wheels on stock struts with lowering springs.
and lots have similar setups.
But I always thought the stock enkei 8" was as wide as you could go on are cars.

EMX5636

Evo's can fit a much wider tire/wheel under the fenders than we can. People probably running a 9" wheel with a stock style strut are probably running something with a 20mm offset. I had to roll/pull my fenders almost 3/4-1" for a 17 or 18x9 20mm wheel to fit under it. If you don't have an answer to this by the time I get back from my honeymoon in mid-May, I'll throw a stock spring/strut on the car and test fit a couple wheels for you.

CutlassJim

I know for a fact that an 8.5" wide rim would fit but I'm not sure with that low of an offset. I want to say no. Mine were +45 and had about a 1/4" of space.

EMX5636

If that's true Jim, then the OP should be fine. The lower offset will give you more space at the strut, just stick out a little more. Now in saying that, you might to pull camber in with camber plates instead of at the strut with camber bolts. Might run into an issue there "leaning" the tire/wheel toward the strut.

CutlassJim

Oh yeah I was thinking the wrong way. So with a skinny tire and not super lowered you should be ok.

prove_it

Please tell me we aren't getting close to discussing hellaflush......

EMX5636

hellaflush in 3...2...1... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't think you are going to fit a 255/45/17 tire anyways if you are lowered. That's really tall (26" compared to 24.2" stock). I think prove_it would like to see a 205/40/17 on that wheel.

89Patches

Sorry my tires are continental wet slicks and say 225/45/17 on them but they are measured from the bead so its the same size as a 255/40/17 street tire I guess.
I went and measured how tall the tires are and came up with 24" and the tread width is 10".
And I ain't going hellaflush so lets not even speak of it ,plus I don't like the look of a stretch tire, lol

prove_it

I have some 235/45R17 on 17x7 rims with 42 offset and 10mm spacers in the rear. It's a little narrow for the tire I know, but it fits great and looks good. I have evo struts all around with stock (front cut) springs for the swap. My tread measures about 8" wide. Clearance wise, it's really tight. The front will clear when turning by maybe 1/8". The strut is still a solid 1/2" away. I just bought some ROBISPEC lowering springs for the evo struts. We'll see how it works after that.

For me i m like I can't confirm because i already have coil overs, but I don't think you are going to fit with a full-sized springtime. If you did a set of flesh light sleeves on the Evo struts and cast off the perches, you would be excellent. I know a 8.5" or 9" with a thirty millimeters balanced out is only about an inches from my 2.5" springtime. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

prove_it

Flesh light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

89Patches

Haha Flesh light...

Anyways I found a set of coilovers so fitment should no longer be an issue
Thanks for all the replies.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts