The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the easiest way to check cam timing?

I am having some tuning issues and want to make sure that my timing marks line up. What is the easiest, least involved way (if any)
to do this?

Thanks

galant651

take the timing cover off and use a straight edge of some sort, there are 2 marks on each cam gear. they should be in a fairly straight line, the 2 middle marks should be very close to the straight edge but are usually a little higher or lower.

Timing cover off, I will straight edge...but if I get you some pics could you tell me if I am off?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

galant651

yeah no problem, another big thing to is making sure your on the right timing mark, intake or exhaust stroke. the cams should be marked.

Boostin_AWD

With everything still assembled jack the car up or just crank the wheel so you can get a 1/2 ratchet on the crank. Pull the upper timing cover off if its not already. Turn the engine over by hand and watch or have someone else watch for the small white notch on the inside edge of the harmonic dampner to come up. This is the mark you see when using a timing light to set base ignition timing. On the timing tab that's apart of the timing cover you have 10*btdc 5*btdc and 0. Line that white notch up with the 0. Check that the dowels on the cams/cam gears are pointed up. If not turn the engine over till they are and the white notch lines up with 0. Then check that the notches on the cam gears line up together in the center. If so your good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts