The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head gasket question

Steve885

I put a new head on Saturday. But realizing I didn't do the oil port mod for a 1g 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt block.
It been torked. My question is can I take the head back off and reuse the gasket safely. Any advice is mucho apparition thanks.
And to clarify there is a small oil galley around 1 stud the head came not fitting 12mm studs I drilled them out to 12.10 but I guess 1 of them is supposed to a full 1 mm bigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

What kind of gasket is it?

If it's a MLS you should/might be ok as long as it hasn't ran. Really depends on how nervous you feel about it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If it is stock style gasket, it gets crushed by torquing. It might be ok if it has not run, but is it worth is for $30 as one poster suggests (do you want to worry about it?)?

CutlassJim

Yes replace the gasket. But on the other hand you don't HAVE to do the oil port mod. It's more for really decked heads. People didn't start doing it till a few years ago and have been doing head swaps for 20 years.

Steve885

The oil port mod on a 7 bolt 1g head seems to make a lot of sense. The head came with what I think are 11 mm bores for the studs used on a 7 bolt block.. the head studs for ( at least least ARP were 11.99) for the 6 bolt block they wouldn't work at all so I bored all holes to 12.10mm. I'm my reading I saw a thread that explained there was a oil galley in the left closest to the front stud that feeds the turbo and the lifters. So I started stressing about it and pulled the head back off to drill that passage to a full 13mm required for flow.. now I fill better..and I've ordered a new gasket

Last edited by a moderator:

prove_it

If you feel better, then you did it right.

CutlassJim

Quoting Steve001:
The oil port mod on a 7 bolt 1g head seems to make a lot of sense. The head came with what I think are 11 mm bores for the studs used on a 7 bolt block.. the head studs for ( at least least ARP were 11.99) for the 6 bolt block they wouldn't work at all so I bored all holes to 12.10mm. I'm my reading I saw a thread that explained there was a oil galley in the left closest to the front stud that feeds the turbo and the lifters. So I started stressing about it and pulled the head back off to drill that passage to a full 13mm required for flow.. now I fill better..and I've ordered a new gasket

The oil port mod is radiusing the turn into that hole. Which I was saying was not %100 necessary. More for shaved heads. Having the stud hole large enough is another issue. I always just use a 1/2" drill bit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned