The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 lug swap, 1g specific?

mrbonnell

Can you use hubs off of a 2g or can you only use hubs of 1g DSM. Or is it all inter changeable?

mrbonnell

What is the difference between the awd front hubs and fwd front hubs. My car is lowered quit a bit. Anything to worry about?

turbowop

The FWD hubs/spindles connect to the steering tie-rods at a lower point, making for a lesser angle on them when used on a lowered car, which helps prevent bump steer.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I posted pics some time ago showing the knuckle difference. I can't remember where, and don't find them in a few of the posts in the information archive section. If I find them, I will give a link. Or someone else better at searching can do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast

turbowop

Quoting iceman69510:
the knuckle

Oops. I meant to say knuckle instead of spindle. Late night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Thanks TB.

Different pics, but well, you get the picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

blacksheep

Can you use the fwd knuckle and still stay 4 bolt hubs? I know wop is going to kill me for my stubborness to stay with 4 lug.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

I'm sure you could install 4-lug hubs into FWD knuckles, but that'd be a lot of trouble for minimal gains, IMO. Might as well just go 5-lug, amirite? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mrbonnell

OK good to know about the fwd hubs I have two brand new front hubs lined up from the local mitsu dealer.

Turbowop, when you say hub/knuckle, is that the same thing or is an knuckle a seperat part?
I guess from my understanding the 1g hubs will fit with the gvr4 knuckles. Or do i need 1g knuckles with the 1g hubs?

Now the hubs will just match up correct? I don't need to change any cv's or tie rods bushings ext. Hubs at the only thing I need?

Sorry for all the questions just making sure I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

I usually use the term spindle/knuckle for the part that bolts to the ball joints/struts etc. The hub is the rotational part that the axle goes through and/or the wheel bolts to.

The hubs will press into either GVR4/DSM AWD or FWD knuckles. Most guys just get used DSM hub/knuckle assemblies so you don't have to press bearings or the hubs in. If you are buying new, you will need the knuckle of your choice (FWD/AWD) and the 5-lug hub from any 1G DSM and the hub/wheel bearing.

Axles, tie rods, ball joints and strut mounting will all match up fine.

Last edited:

turbowop

I label them the same, but I call the rear rotational part the spindle as that's what I thought it was supposed to be called. Confusing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

mrbonnell

Ohhhhh duh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I knew that, shoot dang my inner cave man was scratching his head when you said knuckle. Haha my bad brain fart. Well I have my front knuckles and spindles front the mitsu dealer now I'm off to the grave yard to find my rear hubs. Now I just need to find some wheels. Thanks form the clerificarion guys.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting turbowop:
I label them the same, but I call the rear rotational part the spindle as that's what I thought it was supposed to be called. Confusing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Well with the suspension setup on these cars, they don't have a actual spindle, just a hub that presses into the Steering knuckle. The end of the CV Axle takes the place of the spindle. The Knuckle is just where the ball joint and tie rod end bolt onto for Steering.
42118606.gif

Spindle on Knuckle
brakes-m030-Hub-Spindle-640.jpg

Just to clarify more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
In this example, the rotor bolts to the hub, and then the hub slides right up onto the spindle held in place by just the spindle lock nut.
Spindle is apart of the Strut
strutsf.jpg

Steering Knuckle mounts below strut, and spindle
091newbits.jpg

turbowop

Quoting turbowop:

Read my post again. I know the front uses a hub pressed into a knuckle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raptorWagon

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Pictures clarify everything too though.

mrbonnell

Thanks for the visuals great to see.

So was I wrong to ask what a knucke was?

raptorWagon

Nope! Perfectly reasonable, if you have never really played with the suspension or knew the terminology for the parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned