The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head gasket choice.

gvr4ever

I got my head back from the machine shop. I asked how much they took off and they said between 5 and 10 thousands of an inch. It's never been machine before.

Is it safe to use just a standard head gasket?

At what point is a dual layer gasket needed?

5OF2k

You'll be fine with a factory style gasket, whether you choose composite or MLS.

Im unsure what you mean by "dual layer gasket" though..... the graphite gaskets are a single layer, the MLS are 3 layers(MLS=Multi-layer steel).

-Jake

gvr4ever

I meant multi-layer. Poor choice of words.

I'll just get a standard gasket. I figured I could, but I just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks.

prove_it

The OEM composite gasket will seal up better when there are imperfections in the block surface, however they do not like detonation.

matt92vr4

I'm a big fan of the OEM MLS gasket.

DynastyLCD

^ x2, OP, since the head is freshly planed, it would be a very wise idea to go with a set of ARP's and an MLS gasket such as the Mitsubishi one. it's just cheap insurance, in case you ever do decide to push it a little bit. it's a mod with no real downsides besides the added cost.

FWIW, i've used both thickness Cometic's with sucess. IMHO, the surface of the head, and of the block is a greater factor than the brand gasket you use, as long as we are talking an MLS variant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned