The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quaife into 91 FWD DSM transmission

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Looking at putting this transmission into my car FWD C53a Colt:

KF5M33 2SPZV

Seller says he was assured of 91 internals, if not the whole trans.

My Colts KM210 FWD transmission uses 25 spline passenger side (intermediate shaft) and 25 spline driver side axles, so I need to install a 25 spline Quaife to match my axles.

Quaife sells two models of Quaife for FWD Mitsu tranmissions:

The QDH8B has 25 teeth and QDH7B has 27.

So, a QDH8B fits a KM210 and Jack's says I need this Quaife to fit the trans code I gave them (KF5M33 2SPZV). I assume Jacks meant the QDH7B 27 spline. Read quote below:

Quote:
Hi,
This is the Quaife that you will need:

click
Quaife Front Differential for 92-99 FWD DSM / 3S FWD ONLY
This Quaife is designed to work in the FWD Turbo DSM's and also the FWD NA 3000GT / Stealth

This one is designed for the 92+ DSM transmissions. You will need to upgrade the front axles in order to use this Quaife, but it is the only option available for your transmission.
Thanks,
Tim

So, would diffs from a 90, 91-92.5 swap between any FWD transmission? I'm confused by what Jack's said only because they are offering the 92.5+ diff, maybe because that is the only diff that will fit or they want to install to that trans model? I have indications that a pre-92.5 FWD DSM diff will swap into a KM210, ref here: click

Member selling the transmission would like to sell, just as much as I would like to buy! Haha, kinda pulling my hair out on what can work and what won't.

Cheers to anyone who can hit a home run as to what parts will work for what I need. I could install the transmission the way it will ship, but it has a welded front diff and I'm waiting to hear back on inner spline count from that diff. Even if a regular open diff will fit, then I can purchase that from the seller also.

My head is spinning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quaife's website says this:

Quote:

Mitsubishi 3000GT NA FWD QDH7B $ 947.08
Mitsubishi 3000GT 4WD Front QDH16B $1,081.50
Mitsubishi Eclipse/Talon 4x4 93-99(centre) [Not for use in Drag Race applications] QDH9B $1,081.50
Mitsubishi Eclipse/Talon 4x4 90-99(front) QDH8B $1,081.50
Mitsubishi Eclipse 2WD 2000-2005 5-Speed QDH7BR $1,081.50
Mitsubishi Eclipse 2WD non turbo 95-99 T350 QDF3I $1,132.39
Mitsubishi Eclipse 92-99 2WD Turbo QDH7B $ 947.08

Stealth316 dot com shows F5M33 2SPZV, the transmission code as a 1992 model.
Quote:
F5M33-2-SPZV IH 129t36 14.153 ID22A 4G63-DOHC Turbo

click 22A-9

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Good news, this "92" transmission just had a set of Colt/Mirage turbo 25 spline axles plugged into it. So, the center welded diff is a 25 spline unit.

Final question will be if this Quaife,
Quote:
Mitsubishi Eclipse/Talon 4x4 90-99(front) QDH8B

will fit into this transmission case,
Quote:
F5M33-2-SPZV

in any way possible.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I had this Quaife diff installed into the above 5 speed F5M33 FWD transaxle and it is totally compatible with the stock 25 spline axles (Quaife AWD option with splines holes to accept 25 spline count axles).

A couple of ball and cage style bearings versus tapered, and a reputable shop to size up the shims on the bottom side of the diff before installing the lower case half bearing (important) to allow the diff gears to mate flush, and load the case per the torque/HP ratings and or useage it will see. The list for that is on the site because that is where I got it. Probably archived/Library.

So, if you have 25 spline axles on your Galant, this should work in your AWD Galant trans as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts