The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Brake Fluid

What Fluid would you use and why? I know that fluid technology is always changing and I have to remove the fluid from my brake lines due to damaging them. I figure that now would be the best time to get this handled.

Thank you

citymunky

Any DOT 3 should be fine for a daily driver.

EHmotorsports

i always use castrol gtx dot4 but dot 3 will be just fine.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I personally like the Valvoline synthetic. Don't remember for sure if it is DOT3 or 4.

Thanks everyone....does anyone know how much brake fluid I should have handy for a complete fluid drain?

I have some DOT 4 laying around but don't know how far it will go. Other than that, will just use DOT 3.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting blkchr91:
I have some DOT 4 lying around but don't know how far it will go.

Don't use it if it is real old and been open for a long time. It will have absorbed lots of moisture.

Yep, thanks for the reminder.

It should be sealed...but there again I need to check!

prove_it

Also if you use the brake pedal to pump the fluid for bleeding don't push the pedal to the floor, this can cause internal seal failure.

Are you serious? How far down do I need to push it? I have speed bleeders all the way around so it will make life easier but didn't know this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned