The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear/Driver's side axle trouble

I am having a problem with my driver's side rear axle for my 3 bolt rear.

About 2 weeks ago, the clip holding the boot on the axle broke off. (Hijacked pic from someone elses car in this forum attached and circled in red) I secured it with a large tie wrap since I had to go to work.

I then forgot that I had done that. I was driving around and I started getting an intermittent shrill sound from the rear at low speeds like my car was crying.

I found axle grease all over the place.

Questions:

1) Is the axle screwed or should I try to repack it with grease?

2) How do I do this job? What all has to come off? What tools do I need?

3) What sort of grease should I pack it with?

4) Will I lose my expensive, pain in the butt to get in heavyweight redline shockproof?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1. Probably not yet, doesn't flex much.

2. Unbolt axle shaft at wheel side and pull out of the diff. then undo the clamps to get at the inside.

3. You need CV grease. Probably can buy it separately, but I have always gotten it in boot kits. You can get a kit and replace the boot while you are at it. I think I got some from Rock Auto.

4. Have a plug handy to put in right away, even a ball of duct tape or something can work. Jack up the car from the affected side to send the oil the other way.

Appreciate it...so it is not likely bad because it doesn't flex like the front?

Also, a grinding or loud squeak? Does a bad axle do that?

Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It could be bad. Without grease the balls will get hot. How long has it been this way?

Last edited:

It's been this way for about 2 weeks. So the balls might make that noise? Just trying to rule out additional things like rear brakes etc.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hard to say without hearing. doesn't really seem the likeliest of noises, but you must diagnose.

Very true combined with the fact that it needs to be addressed anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I appreciate your help.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned