The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can I get a 1g/2g DSM exhaust to fit?

I have read that I can use a 1g downpipe/2g midpipe along with my Catco bolt on cat to make an exhaust system that will fit my GVR-4. Information on this topic is pretty damn scattered and I don't want to spend the money on a premade system.

I hear that the 2g midpipe makes up the distance.

I would be pretty frustrated to buy a 1g downpipe and a 2g catback only to have it not fit. I'd like to bolt everything on myself. Really don't want to take this to a muffler shop.

I know that below is an option, but if I can do things more cheaply and have them work out I'd rather do it that way:

click

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

5OF2k

You can get a 1g exhaust to fit if you lengthen it a bit. 2G downpipes will fit too, and are a bit longer than the 1g T/E/L DPs.

-Jake

Thanks but...I want it all to fit without lengthening or welding involved. I don't mind fabricating hangers etc but it is important for it to all fit as a complete bolt on since I will be doing all of the bolting on. There is not a shop within 50 miles that I would trust to touch my car.

Is my goal possible, and exactly what is involved?

5OF2k

Then you're out of luck unless you get an exhaust specific to GVR4.

-Jake

Are you 1000% sure? It seems that I can meet this goal by using a 2g downpipe and a 1g catback. However, when it comes right down to it, no one is ever absolutely crystal clear about it. In this case, there is no room for error.

Thanks

Defiant

2g down pipe and 1g cat back will work, but it will still require some welding because the hangers will need to be moved.

Really, so can't I just use my die grinder/cutoff wheel and chop off the hangers? I could always fabricate hangers etc with local auto parts store stuff. I know it's savage but I want the rundown.

Also, where will the exhaust tip generally sit when I am done?

Thoughts?

I am just going to give up on this and drive the 50+ miles to a custom exhaust shop. I did some more searching on this topic and realized that I had posted this question before and forgot about it. I looked at the responses to that post and many other posts here on the topic (I think I found 11).

I have never seen such an inconclusive ending. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of parts that I have to return because no one knows for sure.

ktmrider

Quoting blkchr91:
I did some more searching on this topic and realized that I had posted this question before and forgot about it. I looked at the responses to that post and many other posts here on the topic (I think I found 11).

I have never seen such an inconclusive ending. I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of parts that I have to return because no one knows for sure.

Welcome to the interweb! Everyone has an opinion and is an expert....

Custom made or CMPE specific FTW.

Quoting matt92vr4:
Time to buy a welder!

True...so close...but what about making your own exhaust bends? I never stopped to think about that?

Quoting gvr4ever:
Why not just get a exhaust made for the GVR4?

I hold an issue with the fact that with a DSM you can have a custom exhaust for quite a bit less than a GVR-4. It seems like only one company presently makes a bolt on exhaust for our cars. To me that seems like a monopoly and with that comes a higher price.

I'd like to keep my car balanced along with my wallet. I consider myself lucky just to be able to own a GVR4 and don't want to break my wallet to the point where I have to get rid of it. I have done well so far by keeping that theme going.

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting blkchr91:
I did some more searching on this topic and realized that I had posted this question before and forgot about it. I looked at the responses to that post and many other posts here on the topic (I think I found 11).

Welcome to the interweb! Everyone has an opinion and is an expert....

Custom made or CMPE specific FTW.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Very true and you are right. I figure that I will just have what I own repaired at this point and then add an electric cutout later since no one will be willing to put that on my car in this nazi state!

460GVR4

Don't take this the wrong way, but if an exhaust will break the budget a GVR4 is probably not the best vehicle for your needs. My feeble opinion. Run what you got save your money and go get it done ONCE and get it done RIGHT. Never have to deal with it again. IF you require emissions, have the shop fit you a test pipe with the same flanges as the cat.

No, not going to get rid of the GVR4 for now.

It doesn't break the budget. Again, just happy to have it. My attitude is by choice. I'd like to believe it is by intelligent choice but nothing is 100% certain. I like to spend money on other things besides my car which taxes the wallet too. The inflated price of the bolt on exhaust is due to supply and demand. Sometimes we get lucky on being able to share parts with DSM(s) and EVO(s) and sometimes we don't.

The cost hassle (at least to me it's a hassle) on this car is not unique to the exhaust but extends to the rear bumper, apparently to the driveshaft etc.

This is about having a balanced automobile not throwing my money at one part and then having the rest run like crap.

There is no running what I got (at least for now). The muffler came loose on the highway and while it didn't fall completely off I had to remove it for safety reasons and now I am just running without a muffler to get to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

At my age, I have learned one thing. If someone totals my car, I will feel like crap for paying that much for an exhaust. Sure, I could possibly part the car out etc but not sure I'd want to go through all of that. I'd rather step outside of the box and use my head (gathering ideas along the way) even if it takes me longer. Doubtful that most shops here will do what you mention here in Virginia. Things are VERY uptight here.

I have gone through a period of time where I considered getting rid of the GVR-4 because I lost interest in it not because of cost. That time is over for now. I like being able to make it home safely to my family on my dedicated winter rims/tires when an ice storm comes (yes I know this is the worst time to drive the car because of salt etc although they use sand around here in many places). For me getting home alive to my family is more important than any car.

Tempted to get a subie without turbo but with AWD, however don't feel like starting over. I'll just run the exhaust after I have it fixed....I still think that an electric cutout would be a good choice in the long run.

I tend to not drive the GVR4 very much. I notice that helps reduce the rate at which things break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I make sure that it gets driven enough to not cause other problems though. It also helps me enjoy it more.

matt92vr4

I hear ya. I'm blessed to have plenty of money but I choose to drive an old Galant and an old Montero. IMO it's ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars on new cars when a $3000-ish Mitsu will do the job. That money is much better spent on savings, education, etc.

Anyways...if you have room for a welder and enjoy making things I would highly recommend making the plunge. It's a lot of fun and long term will save you money. You can purchase all of the mendrel bends need to fab your perfect custom exhaust and you can make it look and sound exactly how you want it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yep...I will know when it is time to get rid of the GVR4 or someone will do it for me.

I gotta take the plunge sooner or later on the welder though. I make these almost annual posts where you guys tell me everything I need to know but then I back off and take time to think...until the next thing breaks.

I took it to an exhaust shop locally. They coldn't do mandrel bends but at least got the exhaust back up and used the existing Buschur 2.5 inch exhaust.

I was very surprised that the welder put the cutout pre-cat. (I took the other poster's suggestion).

Man this thing is LOUD! I can't even hear the turbo now with an open External Gate Dump!

That's not what I wanted, but that is life for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts