The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Did I kill my tranny again?

maxash0775

Hello all and thanks in advance for the input. Please no judging and giving me crap for what you read, my wife has done enough of that for the entire group!!!

A few weeks ago my clutch died when I was coming home from work. In order to get it home, I had to turn of the car and put it in first and satrt my car. Then would shift at correct RPM. It was a paint to get it in some gears but made it home. When I got home it would not come out of second gear to save my life. A week later when I had money for parts I once again, while the car was in second started that car to drive to my brother in laws 2 miles away to work on at his house. Still stuck in second.

When I pulled my tranny off, the clutch had a spring missing and a hole in it (lierally). It was an Oreilly set. So i swaped the clutch disc and PP, clutch fork, TOB, pivot ball, rear main seal, both axel seals so everything inside should be good. After much struggle got tranny on and bolted it up.

After installed I tried shifting and it was a bit notchy and now is stuck in 5th and wont come out. It is not the reverse sensor on the tranny. That was the first thing I thought and pulled it out. The clutch engages because I started the car and slowly let the cluch out and the car was bogging obviously because it was in gear.

Does anyone have any ides before I assume the worst and take off the tranny again? I am hoping something stupid like shift linkage or such but after installing it last night and not working it took the wind out of my sails and I called it a night.

Please advise. Cant keep sharing wifeys car.

Thanks as always

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I believe you always have to adjust the clutch pedal after doing a clutch change

Diego

This was a problem on my car. Toybreaker and Galant1517 and Galantvr4559 have all looked into this issue with me.
1- check cables/bolts to the trans making sure they are TIGHT!
2- check the master and slave
3- pull the whole hydraulic system and bench bleed that muthafucker like its a job
4- put it back together
problem should be solved in these steps. Like I said I had the EXACT same problem with mine, and this is what I did to fix it. I also got a brand new Slave, brand new clutch master cylinder.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^^^ Great points.

I would think if you also remove the shifter cables at the shifter linkages on the trans (the arms), then you can see if the transmission will go into gears without the cables in the equation. I suggest this with the engine off.

maxash0775

When my tranny was off I remember being able to move the black shifters on the tranny itself. I unhooked the shifter cables today and tried moving them and they wouldn't budge.

I haven't done the bench bleed yet, that will be tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to yank it off

maxash0775

Instead of doing the bench bleed. I wanted to see if the clutch fork was being pressed to the full extent o the slave cylinder so to ensure that I got a c-clamp and placed it on the fork and to a point on the car and tightened it and still car would not shift. At this point I will be pulling her apart again tomorrow to ensure seething is lined up.

I will let you guys know late tomorrow.

Thanks

Galantvr4559

Ok well i am having the same issues. Can u move the shifter arms on the transmission just fine but when u try to actuate the cables "off the tranny" they dont budge. I found that the cable that runs the gear push/pull not the select gear cable was bad by the way i believe its the passenger side cable. If thats the case i bet ur cable inside is broken and frayed. These shifter cables have a hard solid wire through the middle and if it breaks it renders the cables useless and junk. Hope this helps. I am having clutch issues as well i need to just get a oe slave. Diego's problem was a mess. Gladly we figured it out.

maxash0775

Mine with the cables off and manually trying to move the gears (black shifty things in the tranny) they still don't move. The front wheels spin fine. Installing the tranny was t smooth so may e something didn't line up.

Galantvr4559

Sounds like something inside the tranny is messed up. Maybe a rail or a shift fork if u cant pull it out of gear.

maxash0775

Well took tranny off and still wouldn't shift so I gave into the reality that my tranny was jacked. Given my time, budget and location I thought I'd call Aamco. What a rip, they want 450 in labor to crack it open and find the problem. I know they are pros but I can get a rebuilt one from Jacks for almost that price. Unfortunately they are to far (jacks) and shipping g and time would be to much. I found a little shop that has been around a long time specializing I. Transmissions only and thy said 180 for the labor and whatever parts would cost. Much better. BTW pricing was with tranny off the car and no installation. I will let you guys know what the outcome is.

maxash0775

^^^ Well looks like you guys were correct. It is a bent fork on my fifth gear. Not sure how much yet for parts. Is there anything else they should do while they are in there?

Wizardawd

Fifth/Rev is easy to replace. Don't even have to pull the trans. I probably even have all those parts as spares. I'm sure some others wouldn't mind giving up and extra 5th gear fork.

We can even talk you thru replacing it. Have some pennies available.

Wiz

maxash0775

I wish I read that before I spent $550 to repair fifth gear and they said some bearings were bad also. What's done is done. Thanks though, I will keep it in mind for next time. I am sure there will be a next time.

Barnes

If certain bearings were bad, that's a completely different story. That can be a lot of work.

Try to get an itemized list of what parts they used, and exactly what they replaced.

Brianawd

Clutch pedal is worn out. To check put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull it up. If your are able to get any movement the clutch pedal assembly needs to be rebuilt

maxash0775

This is one of those questions I feel stupuid asking but need to. I dont remember which side my slave cylinder was mounted on. Does it bolt from passenger side to tranny, or from the block side to tranny? It could go either way. Thanks

EHmotorsports

Machined mating surface to machined surface of the transmission.

Found this doing a google images search
C322E19C-B69B-4D36-8CB2-403E67BF2229-14259-00001561185ABD28.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned