The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

When the fuel line cracks doing a fuel pump upgrade you.( lots of pics)

Kibby

So long story short pb blaster for a few days, let it soak, and success the nuts came off except one which snapped.
img.php

The fuel line came apart and didn't break or so I thought. Did the walbro install with kit. I had no issues installing whatsover.
So I reinstall it and hook everything back up, start up the car and i can hear the fuel spraying in the trunk. What a mess and it wasn't just leaking from one spot. I had at least 6 streams spraying off the fuel line. So I did some research on the forums here and google and such. I gathered you can't buy it from the dealership and for what I plan to do to it the stock line will eventually need to be upgraded. But for the moment and on a budget I determined that I had few options. I am a plumber and my first thought was why not just run some threaded pipe and fittings down and just run some more hoses. This can be done. The pipe must be galvanlized. Option 2 which i went with was to drill a hole large enough to just run a fuel line from the pump, cut what wasn't leaking on the hard line, and run the hose to that. Not hard at all. Cost me $3 and took about an hr being lazy and taking my time. I snapped the line off the top and bottom, marked where it wasn't leaking and used pipe cutters to get a straight cut. Remove pump, put it in a vice and drill. I used small bits and worked my way up til I used a unibit which made the sidewalls of the metal where the hose was coming thru smooth. I even took the hose and rubbed it against the sides for about a minute pressing to see if it would cut into the hose or even make a wear mark. Nothing at all. Hole was made at 5/8". Reinstalled pump, ran hose thru hole, and installed in the car.
img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

When I installed the male end I used dope on the threads so it would be a snug fit and not be a pita to remove in the future. The result was perfect. No leaks or issues at all. Let the car warm up and took it for a 45 minute "test run." No issues and I logged everything. I plan to either sleeve the hose coming out the top or silicon it when it stops snowing.

turbofonz

Uhhh, that's scary.

I'd get a grommet around that hose ASAP. Isn't there some strong fumes now without that sealing properly?

Kibby

No fumes at all. The gap around the hose is a small but snug fit. I do plan to fix it and make it "safe". I just needed a quick fix since it was parked in my driveway and blocking my other cars. did quite a few full throttle pulls to 6.8-7k. No leak at all.

pmp285

That is not safe at all... And i doubt you will see the fumes but it im pretty sure there is. And also dirt and water could go in the tank

Kibby

Again. Aware it is not safe. Again...needed to move car. Id rather move the car without it spraying fuel all over my driveway the 2 minutes it took to relocate its position. That being a huge fire hazard since the 20 seconds it ran left a huge puddle under the car dripping everywhere. I Only drove it cuz I needed stuff from the auto parts store again lol and had to gas it up. I doubt I could fit a threading needle into the little gap thats there. I plan to run -an lines in the near future but the past 2 weeks I lost over 20 hrs which said no you cant get the better parts right now.

EHmotorsports

start looking for a new hanger assembly. even with the an fittings the top is still really rusty. i just cut down and used a 1g GSX/TSI pump hanger.

prove_it

As long as your aware of how horribly dangerous that is, I think everyone here can respect your choice to get it running. I've been there before, had to "patch" something to getting moving again. I only say the following to keep any newbies from doing the same repair, Fuel vapor and fumes are the most dangorous thing to have venting on your car. While the car is just sitting over night, fumes will build up around the tank. Be careful.

curtis

Since your going to run AN lines fittings you can simply weld on a small tube to the AN fitting then weld it to the top. I'm sure you can find someone to tig weld it on. If not give me a yell I'll weld it. All you'll need is two -6 steel weld on fittings and send me the assembly as well as the piece on the other end and I can weld a fitting to that hard line. Then you'll need a -6 line and your done. A grommet on there might help but not the cure and just as dangerous as not having anything. There is no fuel safe sealers available at autozone etc either, I've seen people try and use rtv on this stuff and it doesn't work, aviation world has some stuff called proseal, comes as two parts and mixes like an epoxy but when cured looks and acts like rtv but hella expensive and not designed for steel to rubber hose, hose vibrations will break the seal and your back to where you started. Its mainly used to seal plates to fuel cells and access doors to catwalk and other areas near or around fuel vapors and sealing skins to ribs and structures in wet wing configurations when parts are riveted together or bolted together.

Below I linked a single kit, cost is twenty dollars which not as bad as I thought but is in a two part tube for a one time mix and trash the left overs. Not sure if you can buy a can of the sealer and the activator separate anymore.

click me

JNR

As mentioned, definitely get that fixed, but in a pinch that probably will work alright (not safest of course).

Anyway, this is what I did to mine a few years ago and it's worked great;;;this is a cut and past from my original reply in an archive post:

Here's what I did...

Cut off the POS, rusted tubing flush, welded a -06 AN (actually, it's referred to as a JIC connection, but close enough) to pipe thread fitting to the top of the fuel pump assembly and used an -06AN (again JIC) to metric adapter and hooked it up to the original hose...

Here's the final product...

crappy pic, but I put some POR-15 on the assembly and some paint (I soldered the ground afterward, so hence the quick paint)...doesn't leak and sure beats paying $$$ for a custom piece that may or may not work...

$10 later (I have a bunch of AN fittings and hose sitting around) I'm a happy camper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS - I have (3) more pairs of these fittings left, if anybody is interested...

LIV4PSI

I use bulkhead connectors since I can't weld, they seal fine

ade

^ding^ding^

EMX5636

Bulkheads are nice, but was too long for me for my old twin pump setup. I took a bulkhead fitting, and turned off the threads (on the long end that goes into the tank), into a barb for a 3/8" hose from my Ford Lightning Stainless "Y" fitting.

ronnycordova

I feel your pain, this was the sending unit from my Montero...they are pretty similar and impossible to bloody find. I ended up drilling the old lines out a bit and bending in new ones and just sealing them with solder. Put on about 3 coats of bed liner on it and bolted it back up. It has been working for 3 years now without any problems.

Kibby

What material did you use for the line as far as solding goes? I thought about running copper and flairing the end but read some stories searching and found mixed reviews.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts