The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone running an HX40 on here?

I have run hx35's on other DSM's but the engine bay on the gvr4's is substantially tighter. I'm planning on throwing mine on this weekend, hoping to see some pics of other members hx setups.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

thecman02

I ran a HX40, I'll have to dig for the picture. With the bolt on housing you should be able to fit everything with a full radiator if you use a vband wastegate on the 02 housing. The water pipe will need to be crushed to fit the compressor housing. If you are planning on using a twin scroll t4 setup you will want to make a completely custom setup to have it fit with a full radiator. I don't believe any premade t4 ts manifolds will work from the big manufacturers without a custom radiator solution.

dsm10o0

I ran a hx35 with bep housing, ran the wastegate on the manifold with full 1g radiator. Fit tight but it can be done.

photo-1423.jpg

photo-594.jpg

485770_396031813749969_1164578012_n.jpg

theevozero

I have a hx40 t4 twin scroll on my 1g. Using a modified ebay manifold, welded a 90 on the outlet to face the left side of the car. Made a custom oil drain (made from -10 fittings and braided line) to go around the front motor mount and also not to back up and cause the car to smoke, and finally I made the outlet pipe oval shaped so it wouldn't touch the radiator or the oil drain. It's even kinda tight in a 1g. The wastegate pipe was easy to plumb as well as the vband exhaust outlet.

Last edited:

Galantvr4559

I have a hx 35/40 hybrid on my gvr4. Bep dsm bolt on housing with dnp manifold and wg off o2 housing. Custom o2 housing for wg fabbed by a buddy and me. Very very tight fit but defiantly possible. I will post pics later

Quoting dsm10o0:
I ran a hx35 with bep housing, ran the wastegate on the manifold with full 1g radiator. Fit tight but it can be done.

photo-1423.jpg

photo-594.jpg

485770_396031813749969_1164578012_n.jpg

Very nice, but what I'm trying to avoid is crossing the charge pipe that close to the manifold. I do see that you wrapped your's but I'm wondering if there is room to point the turbo straight down..? Or did you try that and it wouldn't clear the bottom cross member.

ghostinthevr4

To get to point straight down would be very difficult the motor mount is almost directly underneath the compressor outlet. It's probably doable but your talking some work here good luck something will need to be cut and some piping will need to fabricated.

dsm10o0

I had to grind down a good amount of metal on the motor mount bracket in order to fit facing down but then had issues with the down pipe and radiator cleance after so i settled it facing up/forward.

boostin4door

My HX35 fits, but tight. I had to 'modify' the motormount to clear the drain line. No biggy on that. Also , welded on an alum elbow on the Comp housing to free up some space.
And,I BARELY had to 'ding' my water pipe,not the silly bashing/destroying of the water pipe like some do.Just clocked the housing alittle.Iv'e used the FP header and now run a SBR 2G style manifold both worked well in regards to the Comp housing clearance.
Overall, love the turbo! had it for 7 years now zero issues.

theevozero

Like I stated, I had to weld an aluminum elbow on my outlet. If you use a coupler, it will likly burst from the direct pressure stream and sudden direction change. Ask me how I know..... The elbow clears the crossmember, barely. I personally didn't have to touch my water pipe.

Ok, I figured out a way to make it all fit and still point the turbo down... Like or dislike?

topmount1_zps3139b88b.jpg

topmount2_zpse07c2166.jpg

Lol, right now it's just sitting on the manifold because it's got a DSM BEP housing, going to be switching back over to the T4 divided.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

No one likes?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

onesickcrx

Hx40 evo3 mani using bpe housing the rad was moved up under cross member hope this helps

thecman02

Quoting 2point3:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

No one likes?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Looks like its going to be a nasty setup. I'm working on switching over to a topmount setup actually.

^^^ Thanks!

I just picked up a divided T4 hotside for the Holset, having to move the radiator forward about an inch but should still work great.

Hotside on, radiator moved forward a bit. May still run a 1g radiator since they supposedly fit under the top radiator support.

topmount--1_zps5556c421.jpg

dsm10o0

Yeah 1g radiator fits right under the radiator support. see the pics i posted on the earlier post. I was running a mishimoto 1g radiator.

that thing looks good in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited:

^^^ Thanks you sir! I'm pretty excited about the set up. I'm wanting to push the HX40 to the max, not really many people here in Utah running these to there fullest potential.

Little bit of progress. Thinking about doing a same side intercooler...what do you guys think? Same side intercoolers do an ok job cooling?

2613-gvr4-1_zps7c8e4dc3.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned