The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo IV ECU into Galant -Plug and play loom. Plus VIDEO!!

bazeng

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one.
What does the stock ECU do to this pin?

Does it provide 12v pull down to gnd?

I'm just finalising my EVO 4 Ecu wiring.
I think this is the last bit of it.

It fires up and fuel pump goes on when cranking, but turns off afterwards.

90DSMTURBOECUPINOUTS%20color%20coded.jpg

Last edited:

bazeng

I found some stuff and it seems that PIN #13 is not connected to anything....

Just wondering why it is in most pin outs if that was the case?...

Maybe the diagram I have is wrong?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Baz,

Could you clarify which ecu you are using?

You've posted the diagram for a 90 model year ecu, and it's a bit of an orphan here in the states.

There are several fundemental configurational differences between it and the 91 up units used here in the states.

... one of those differences is how the ecu picks up the tach pulse.

... really miss Jeff O. and Steve P. at times like this!

The kiddies on the intawebz will jump all over the 6 and 14 thing, but they miss the way the tach is "read" at the ecu.

I don't pretend to understand them, I just know they exist, as I had to run additional wires on a swap that involved a 90 4g63 into a pickup to get the tach and fuelpump to work correctly. (sadly, that was over ten years and many beers ago, and the details have slipped from my memory)

In addition to the 90 and 91 up yearly change, I *believe* the jdm/other market ecu's *may* have some other configurational differences.

... I'd say pm Baz, as he seems to really know his stuff on the jdm cars, but, well, that may not work so well in this case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You *might* be able to find/verify the trigger wire on the back of the mpi relay and trace it back to the ecu by color (and verify with an ohmeter) to determine which terminal the mpi relay "expects" to be grounded/controlled by the ecu.

I don;t knwo if this will help, but a few years back, I waded thru this with Amar on an evoIII ecu. (thread found here

In that case, the fuel pump driver is on pin #8, (and as an aside, it has the same color as the usdm units white with a red tracer)

That said, the stratedgy for controlling the fuel pump worked in the same way as all the other mitsu ecu's I've worked with.

There are two coils in the mpi relay for the fuel pump circuit.

One is hardwired to the key and ground for use while the engine is cranking. (power is fed from the key thru the relay coil, and then thru a dedicated ground)
any time the key is in the crank position, the fuel pump is "on"

The other coil is the run coil.

Power is fed to the inny of the second coil with the key in the run position, and the ecu will control the ground leg of that relay coil
... allowing ground to the relay coil only when it "sees" a frquecny signal from the cas

no cas signal = no ground = no fuel pump

This meant as a safety feature to turn off the pump to prevent the pump from continuing to feed a post shunt fire.

At any rate, a clarification on which ecu you are using will go a long way towards helping us figure things out.

bazeng

Thanks for the info.

I'm using the ECU pinout as an example.
The exact pinout / loom that I am using is an AMG Galant (pretty much the same but missing a few pins).

I've had a good look at the loom and it is actually missing pin #13 as part of the loom. So in a JSPEC AMG Galant, there is no Fuel Pump drive signal on pin #13.

I've worked out the triggers for the MPI relay and the 12v supply once those relays are activated by the ECU. My initial concern was that my fuel pump was not priming when I flicked the key to IGN. It would only fire up when cranking and once started.

I'm using an Autronic EVO IV plug in ECU on my Galant.

Everything is working fine.

Starts.
Idles.
All sensors are good (except for water temp - I think it might differ slightly in readings).

turbowop

Quote:
My initial concern was that my fuel pump was not priming when I flicked the key to IGN. It would only fire up when cranking and once started.

I thought this was the way it was supposed to work, kind of like what Toybreaker said...it won't run without a signal from the CAS that the motor is actually spinning.

bazeng

You are correct to an extent, most aftermarket ecus will activate the fuel pump for a defined time (ie, 3 seconds) to get fuel pressure to.the rail.

Also in cars with stepper motors, it also activates the relay for a few seconds to allow for the stepper motor to reset.

In my case, my Motec did it andmy other Autronic did it so not sure why this one doesn't.

Can't recall if stock ecus prime on initial ign on.

turbowop

They don't prime on initial ign on. At least mine doesn't. Fuel pressure gauge stays the same until the engine starts cranking.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

They're supposed to be really, really good. I have an SM2 but have never used it, here in the states less than a handful of people use or can tune them and since Ray Hall left to start vipec their customer support S U C K S.

bazeng

I'm running an SM4 in my other car.

You are right, not many know how to tune them.
Documentation is wire poor but once you figure out how it works it is a magical thing.

bazeng

Here is some AUTOTUNE in progress.

The software does it all. No keyboard input required.
Simply compares your desired AFR to the actual, and calculates the numbers.

Can even do it on the street.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned