The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I swear my car feels like it's pulling harder at 50% throttle... am I crazy

EfiniX

It's tuned, it's fast and fun. It's also, like the rest, 20 years old and prone to goofiness. Now I swear when the turbo spools up, it tugs harder when I'm pacing my throttle to WOT as the turbo spools up, as opposed to just going to WOT at 3500 rpms. It could seriously just be me... I'll post logs later when I get a chance to flog it a bit.

mods list:
264/264 cams (this is a theory from English Racing who said they weren't stock, but weren't sure what they actually were)
walbro 255
1000cc injectors
2g maf
2g intake
custom ported exhaust
20g turbo
ETS intercooler

etc.

Thoughts?

James

I have this problem... But it's due to boost creep/fuel cut.

EfiniX

Well the boost builds steady all the way to 18.5psi (where I have it set right now) and stays put. With boost creep, doesn't it drop off, then boost to oblivion? I should also mention that I have a narrowband A/F gauge. Now I know they aren't nearly as useful as a wideband, but according to the gauge (for what it's worth), I'm not running lean under any sort of throttle, even high-boost.

It was tuned at 22psi, but I wouldn't think turning the boost down would cause the car to feel like it's pulling harder at 50% throttle crossing 10psi then WOT crossing 10psi

What should I be looking for on the logs to see if I'm leaning out at high RPM's? Noob question, I know, but I'm new to this car and the DSMLink.

Thanks in advance, guys!

C

Last edited:

EfiniX

We'll I've got a DSMLink v3, so I've got a wideband ala the logging. So what am I looking for?

EfiniX

sorry, I should be more specific. I have a wideband O2 sensor and a narrowband Autometer A/F gauge. The gauge came with the car and until I put something else in the pillar pod, I figured I would leave it in.

EfiniX

hmmm.... or so I say. It's in the paperwork, but this car... I'm going to go check now.

EfiniX

Well it sure is pretty while the car is running. Anyway, I'm going to go move my car into my garage and see just how many wires are coming out of the O2 sensor. I'm also going to bump the boost back up to the tune level (22psi). I'll do some logging and see what I see.

Hertz

Staff member
Knock -- timing pulled? Does it feel fast again if you roll off throttle wait a second and plant it again?

EfiniX

No CEL's on the dash or in the dsmlink, so i dont think it's knock. Thing is i had a deent knock issue before the link and that's not what this feels like. If the narrowband is to be trusted, I'm lean at throttle above 40% or so. I'll pull the plugs and check later when i get home.

turbowop

NB is not to be trusted. Mine always shows lean, even though my WB shows 10.8:1.

You can have a WB without a gauge, but it needs to be connected to ECMlink so that it can be logged/seen. Can you log WB?

Last edited:

EfiniX

yeah, the NB is all over the place on the drive home tonight. fortunately, all of this poking under the hood has yielded the answer to another lingering question I've had about the funky smell I get after pushing the car around. I appears as though the dipstick leaks oil, the sneaky bastard. Sealing it up with a bit of cloth shortly. I'm going to order an Innovate wideband kit and get it hooked to the DSMLink and go from there.

Ah, the gift that keeps on giving.

C

OMFGeofffff

Is it leaking near the top of the dipstick tube? If it is and the actual dipstick is popping out I would invest in a new oem dipstick. Less than $20. If it's still popping out then you have a whole 'nother problem. Some people like to "bandaid" it with a springtype dipstick/tube combo.

EfiniX

Yeah, the rubber boot at the top of the stick is 20-years worth of worthless right now. The rubber is just hard and the only thing holding it even marginally in is the crimp in the pipe. I would say it's time to spring for a new dipstick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EfiniX

Innovate MTX-L wideband kit ordered. More to come...

Armitage

At part throttle, you're likely in closed loop operation. When you go WOT, it's in open loop and only running on the a/f map you've programmed in. It sounds like that map needs tweaking. You're on the right path with the WBO2.

EfiniX

Fuuuuu.... I miss my 93 FD so hard

Armitage

Hehe GVR4, FD and an SV, nice choices. I have an '01 SV myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I tell you some days I really get fed up with the ridiculous 90's engineering vacuum line nonsense complexity of the sequential turbos, emissions BS, etc. but when the whole thing working right it still puts a smile on my face.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts