The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine build gone wrong

toslow

So I need some info or atleast some direction and some of the guys on this forum have more than impressed me with knowledge.
My stock block evo 8 at about 420 whp (mustang Dyno ) came apart about 2 years ago. Picked up a long block from awd motorsports and sent to machine shop locally to have je pistons and Manley rods installed. Lasted about 5 months at about 490 whp and spun a bearing. Removed the block and off to same local machine shop and replaced the crank and installed a set of GSC rods. This is the same machine shop I have used through multiple builds and the shop our Nissan dealership used on a regular basis. Put the car back together and strangely the car was difficult to go into 1st and reverse. Called shep and he said not irregular, adjust the pedal and see what happens. Good to go and he said I should be fine. Now my thought was that clutch was not fully engaging, guess I felt like it was crank walking. Within about 500 miles still in break in mileage before tune. It got worse and I felt like the engine was starting to make noise so I pulled it out. Trans got shipped to shep for inspection and proceeded to do build cause he said the input shaft was bent and had some chipped gears. So now to my issue. The block was taken to the machine shop, they kept giving me the run around and after 6 weeks they tell me they do not want to work on the block because I run nitrous through the engine and they would rather not work on it!!!!!!!! I have never ran nitrous period and would never run nitrous. I don't even know if there is an issue with the block but after all the money I've spent at this point I feel like its not worth rechecking it before I reinstall it. So I've been a tech all my life, I'm now a service manager at a dealer but I still have all my tools but I've never done all the measurements and actually built an engine. I've searched for classes at local college but they are through the day and does not fit my work schedule. Is there books or a website they may be able to help me. I just can believe I've spent all this money and I feel like I can't trust that side of this build.

calcaliente

There are service manuals you can get for 90-99 mitsubishi's that has all the service intervals clearances and tolerances and torque specs down to the last bolt. Im sure some one on here knows the name of it or may sell you one.

GSTwithPSI

I feel you man, I am going through a similar situation. I got tired of putting my trust and money in someone else, and decided to suck it up and buy all the tools I needed to do a ground up build on my own. My advice would be to purchase all the tools you need to measure, assemble and check the motor yourself. Obviously you will still have to use a machine shop to bore cylinders, surface blocks, and do other in depth machine work. Instead of having them do the entire build though, just tell them exactly what you want done, and then check their work when you get your stuff back to make sure it was done properly. Then, use the fresh components to do a perfect assembly on your own. As a matter of fact, I just balanced all my rod and piston assemblies on my own. Don't feel overwhelmed man. Honestly, even if it is a steep learning curve for you at first, being a tech all your life should really work to your advantage, and I doubt it will be hard in the end.

By paying to get a motor built, you don't have to buy special tools, or take the time to do the tedious work that adds up to the thousands of dollars that you end up paying the machine shop. You need to have the time and money to commit to a project like building a motor. It seems like you already have the money, so you really just need to have the time to overtake a project like this. You want to secure your investment, and buying tools is ALWAYS a secure investment. Unlike paying for machine work, when your motor is spent, you aren't going to repay for those tools. The knowledge you will pick up by doing things yourself is the most invaluable part of this though. In the end, even if your motor does fly apart after you rebuild it, at least you can blame yourself, and not some machine shop. There's a reason you can look around this community and see guys who are gods at building amazing cars. Most of the time, it's because those guys blew up a lot of sh*t, and learned and got better from it each time. Take the dive man, because not only will you have the tools and knowledge to build your own stuff, but you will have the piece of mind that it was done right. Nobody gives a sh*t about your project like you do, and that piece of mind you get in the end from doing something right on your own is priceless.

ade

Quoting toslow:
So I need some info or atleast some direction and some of the guys on this forum have more than impressed me with knowledge.
My stock block evo 8 at about 420 whp (mustang Dyno ) came apart about 2 years ago. Picked up a long block from awd motorsports and sent to machine shop locally to have je pistons and Manley rods installed. Lasted about 5 months at about 490 whp and spun a bearing. Removed the block and off to same local machine shop and replaced the crank and installed a set of GSC rods.
This is the same machine shop I have used through multiple builds and the shop our Nissan dealership used on a regular basis. Put the car back together and strangely the car was difficult to go into 1st and reverse.

Called shep and he said not irregular, adjust the pedal and see what happens. Good to go and he said I should be fine. Now my thought was that clutch was not fully engaging, guess I felt like it was crank walking. Within about 500 miles still in break in mileage before tune. It got worse and I felt like the engine was starting to make noise so I pulled it out. Trans got shipped to shep for inspection and proceeded to do build cause he said the input shaft was bent and had some chipped gears.
So now to my issue. The block was taken to the machine shop, they kept giving me the run around and after 6 weeks they tell me they do not want to work on the block because I run nitrous through the engine and they would rather not work on it!!!!!!!!

I have never ran nitrous period and would never run nitrous. I don't even know if there is an issue with the block but after all the money I've spent at this point I feel like its not worth rechecking it before I reinstall it. So

I've been a tech all my life, I'm now a service manager at a dealer but I still have all my tools but I've never done all the measurements and actually built an engine. I've searched for classes at local college but they are through the day and does not fit my work schedule. Is there books or a website they may be able to help me.

I just can believe I've spent all this money and I feel like I can't trust that side of this build.

trying to read your post made me dizzy

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned