The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlamps out

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So a big storm went through last night with a bit of slushy snow. Car started fine, but had some snow collection in the wheels affecting the abs (light flickered a bit), and the car was frozen to the spot. Broke free fine, but when I turned the headlights on, they flashed and went out. Tried the brights and they did the same thing. Drove to work with just the park lights on (thankfully it was getting light).

I pulled the relay and it seems ok (but haven't finished all the testing yet). Never did get a battery light or anything, so I don't suspect high current, but it is a possibility.

Any other ideas? Seems like that relay is the only thing in the circuit. All dash lights still work and the high beam indicator lights.

Thanks.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Trekked out to the car at lunch, and the bulbs are blown. Alternator appears to be putting out about 18V. Time for a fun job.

Alternator for Christmas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

G

Staff member

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, yeah, maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

89Mirageman

Have you tried to wiggle the arm to see if they come on? My Summit wagon started doing this about a month ago when it's really cold out for some reason. I haven't looked into it because so far I can just wiggle it and they work. This only happens when its cold though. On warm nights they come right on.

Nevermind, didn't catch the part about the bulbs being blown.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I tried new bulbs yesterday prior to starting the alternator replacement. Even though the alternator was now putting out 19V, they didn't blow again. Hmmm. Must just have been the morning cold start-up loads or something. So I am almost finished with the alt replacement, and will be in an hour or so. then new bulbs and test drive.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
To close this out, new alternator and new bulbs, 14V and everything working as it should. Car has also run really well the last two days. Now just have to figure out why my idle has gone up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I also had the original rebuilt at the local shop for $100, so I have a spare now. put in a new regulator and some bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned