The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Missing and running very rich Need Ideas

Hi all. Having a problem with 685/2000. Started a few months ago, would miss at idle and clear up as rpm increased. However one day it started to do it all the time and make huge quantities of black smoke. Checked codes and replaced:

coolant temp sensor
O2 sensor
had injectors cleaned and flow tested
replaced spark plugs
wires
Fuel Pressure is 35psi
Cam and Ignition timing is right on
drained gas tank and refilled
Checked for IC Hose leaks-none found
EGR block off plate

Started checking AFM, was reading 60-70 Hz, FSM says at idle should be 20-50. Got a used AFM, same thing, got another one, and again same thing.

Now, if i take the brake booster hose off the intake, it clears up a lot, but runs at 2500 Rpm, which tells me as im introducing more un-metered air, it is making the AFR's closer to where they should be. but why is it reading so high? I even made an adapter to mount the AFM right to the throttle body, and that did nothing. ECU was repaired several years ago for leaking caps, but also the ISC took out the drivers, but has run for several years like that.

Ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts