The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilt engine leaking a lot of oil

WaRrIoRs16

I just went out to start my rebuilt engine for the first time. Well it started up after cranking it a few times and all seemed good. I have an oil pressure gauge on the turbo to make sure I don't blow the seals and it read just over 75psi right when it started.

So it ran for about a minute and a half, then it died. So I checked everything and all looked good. I went and started it up again and kept my foot on the throttle to let it get warmed up. I did that for about 3 or 4 minutes and got the temp up to 175*. Then I let it idle by itself while I check out the car.

I look at the oil pressure gauge and its at about 25psi. Then I check out the manifold and oil is coming out pretty decently between the manifold flange and turbine housing flange, so I immediately shut the car off.

I don't know what would be causing this because the long block was just rebuilt. I drained the oil and it didn't have any metal in it at all.

Fram filter was just for first engine warm up the it was gonna be removed. What would cause this? I was thinking valve seals, but they are new from the rebuild. Could the piston rings cause this? I haven't even gotten a chance to break them in.
Oil Leak Video

5OF2k

That is a really weird spot to have an oil leak.... It suggests to me that oil is leaking from somewhere else and sraying. Id recommend cleaning it thoroghly, and staring it to let it idle again to see if you cant locate the source. Something is telling me its the oil feedline and a possible pinhole in the line. Having 25psi for the engine at idle isnt going to hurt anything while you narrow down the source.

A helpful tool would also be a retractable mirror and a decent flashlight.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

WaRrIoRs16

I pulled the EGT probe from cylinder one in the manifold and it had oil on it. I checked in the cylinders and piston 1 looks like it has some oil sitting on top of it in comparison to the rest of them. I don't know if a little bit of oil like that is normal until the rings set or not, as this is my first rebuilt engine.

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 1

Do you still think I should fill it back up with oil, start it up and check for something spraying oil?

WaRrIoRs16

You were dead on sir. I cleaned everything up and pulled my oil pressure gauge out from the engine bay onto the floor and started it up. There was the most glorious oil leak I have ever seen lol. Thank you for your help.

EMX5636

Replace that nylon line for their copper (better) or a braided -3 or -4 hose (best). Or even better, run an electronic gauge.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts