The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shooting for 300hp

asmo

I want 275-300hp, so far my car runs good what should be my next step, Im running 12 psi now anything above that I get knock, yes I have logger.
so far I have keydiver chip, 2g mas, evo 560cc injectors, s16g, 2g exhaust manifold, rewired evo9 fuel pump, decent size intercooler, with 2" hotside piping and 2 1/4" cold side, 2g throttle body elbow, 3" exhaust and the motors bored .20 over.
I know I need a wideband then Im thinking better chip? afc? maybe link or evo ecu? whats the best next step.

5OF2k

You're pretty close to what you need already. Id look in to some form of stand alone or tuneable engine management, look into either having your exhisting turbo rebuilt with an E3 or 20g compressor wheel to move more air, and a set of bigger injectors/pump to switch to E85. That should be plenty to easily hit/exceed your goal. (Tune/engine health dependant, of course)

-Jake

ghostinthevr4

^ What he said but there's a few things you could keep the same the Evo fuel pump rewired is fine you really don't have to switch to E85 if you don't want too, not for 300 hp. Definitely switch the turbo like stated above. Fix your knock problem that's what's holding you back big time.

If your looking into an engine management get ECMlink V3 if you can't swing that right now throw some cams in there. A HKS 264/272 combo will help the turbo breath better I ran that combo with my fp18g and I loved it. Or you can jump straight into a 272 combo so if you step up to a big boy turbo you'll be done with it. If you absolutely feel like you have to run E85 switch the fuel pump then and get the biggest set of injectors you can afford. Those Evo injectors need to be changed out anyways.

There's a set of HKS 272's in the for sale section cams help you make power easily. The engine management you use is also a key factor.

Jesus_Negros

ECMlink + tune for more boost with slightly bigger injectors, a wideband, and an evo3big16g should clear 300hp for you. And make sure the car is reliable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You can pick all that up in the classified section for a pretty decent price and go get you a professional tune or learn to tune it yourself.

524of1000

I was hitting 280+ on a very similar set up. Same turbo, injectors, etc. The difference is going to be tuning abilities. I used an Evo 8 MAF and ECU setup.

asmo

Thanks guys, I have been shooting for a 300hp daily, so far its a fun driver like this,I just want a little more.
I was thiinking E85 but its a 30 mi drive to nearest station so thats no good.
I am trying to figure out now what is causing knock, its possibly the downpipe vibration etc, or the sh*t pump gas here.
then I plan on a getting a wideband with my logger to max out what the chip can give, and maybe an safc.
I just wanted to cover all my bases, Down the road Im leaning to evo ecu for tunning.

MellowVR4

i probably would get a new chip with a larger injector, im running 305 awhp at 293ftlb at 17 psi on a big 16g. 750cc and link along with all the other mods including cams. im most likely have a bit more because its at 21-22 psi all the way to redline now that i fixed my boost problem.

uncleben4rice

I had 16g, 750cc injectors, dsm link, 20psi boost = 324awdhp mustang dyno. Stock engine at the time..

mitsuturbo

Quoting 524of1000:
I was hitting 280+ on a very similar set up. Same turbo, injectors, etc. The difference is going to be tuning abilities. I used an Evo 8 MAF and ECU setup.

Same here. I was running consistent 13.7's in the 1/4 on pump gas and street tires at 14psi. Car with me in it was 3480#. I had s16g, 3 bolt open rear diff, 1g exhaust mani, 3" from flex back no cat, 2g MAF, RC550's, Wally255lph, keydiver, SAFC, SITC, and Blitz SBC iD. STOCK INTERCOOLER.

I put Avgas in it and without changing anything but adding 3psi boost, was running consistent 13.4's. (and pulling 1.7 60's)

I didn't know much about tuning (i probably know marginally more now). I had no wideband or afpr. I just had to try and tune around knock. Someone who knew what they were doing better than i would have been able to get more out of it. 300hp on a S16g shouldn't be difficult to achieve.

Edit: oh, and that was at RMR on the sh*t gas you have there

Last edited:

Olson

Quoting uncleben4rice:
I had 16g, 750cc injectors, dsm link, 20psi boost = 324awdhp mustang dyno. Stock engine at the time..

That also cant run faster than a 12 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif long time no see buddy. Hope you guys are doing well out yonder

IncorpoRatedX

Also had a similar set up. Made around 300hp, ran 12's, daily driven.

belize1334

If your s16g is in good condition I wouldn't bother switching to an E316g. It makes a little more power but the s16g has faster spool, lower boost threshold, and is more efficient below 15psi. It is, IMHO, a "better" turbo. You may fall slightly short of the 300awhp mark on it, but I hit 260awhp on a s16g with just a keydiver chip, no wideband, no afc, and a wimpy intercooler.

From where you're sitting now, I say you need 1) a tune, and then possibly 2) bigger injectors, and only THEN 3) a different turbo if you aren't satisfied with the results. If you're tuning yourself you better get a wide-band and some kind of management system. If you take it to a DSM tuner they may be able to use their inhouse wideband and burn you a new chip and you'll be off and running.

5OF2k

I dunno Belize...that little 16g would be working a LOT harder to hit his 300whp goal than a B16g/E16g, and be a touch out of its efficiency range, which means more heat, and therefore less consistent power....and let's be real. The s16g being more efficient below 15psi is entirely irrelevent, being as he wont be anywhere near that boost level. also, having a peaky, quick spooling turbo with next to no top end is extremely disappointing. Sure you're hitting 25lbs by 3500rpm, but what good does that do you when you're only making 12psi at redline....? Enjoy your s16g's all you want, but when you're getting pulled on because your call falls on it's face above 4500rpm by a E16g car, you'll see what I mean. Plus, come accross an E16g, and you've got at least an easy 60-75 more HP to play with when (yes, I said WHEN) you get bored of 300hp.

The main reason most of us suggested upgrading the turbo, was because it's ALWAYS easier to dial a setup down than it is to stretch a setups' capabilities. It's also safer for the engine, more reliable, and more efficient which therefore makes it more enjoyable, IMHO.

Going with a bigger turbo will not only alow you to hit your goals more easily, but also give you a bit of room to grow. It's the same eal if you're running larger injectors than you "need", a larger intercooler than you "need, and so-on. Then, when you get bored with your 300whp (Yes, WHEN again), you'll have some room to play with, and hopefully it'll be just another matter of a larger turbo and fuel/etc. Spend the $$ out of the gate on things you figure you'll want to do down the road, or have in the back of your mind, and it'll make it that much easier to acheive down the road. Just sayin'.

-Jake

Ian M

"300hp" is kinda abstract to me.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif So I can relate,how quick/fast is that in the 1/4mile with stock weight GVR4?

MellowVR4

Quoting Alpha Male:
Also had a similar set up. Made around 300hp, ran 12's, daily driven.

i guess he ran 12's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif havent ran mine yet

IncorpoRatedX

I was saying I ran 12's

matt92vr4

This thread makes me want to go to the track!

MellowVR4

+1^

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts