The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stalling going up hills *FIXED*

EfiniX

Everything is running great save for stopping in steep inclines. Usually stalls. Starts back up fine and as long as I feather the gas, it runs. Road evens out and all is well again. No problem going down hills. I have a keydiver and the car goes to English Racing Thursday for a DSMLink and tuning, so maybe irrelevant at this point. Still, I'm curious.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Is your bov recirculated?

JNR

Your fuel pump pick-up stock, or does this happen on low gas level only, for instance?

EfiniX

Quoting G:
Is your bov recirculated?

Yes.

EfiniX

Quoting JNR:
Your fuel pump pick-up stock, or does this happen on low gas level only, for instance?

Seems to happen at all gas levels and since the car fires right back up, I figured it probably wasn't a pickup issue.

Having said that, I do have a Walbro 255lph pump and when I fill the tank, the needle never goes past 3/4's of a tank. Maybe it's time for me to pull up the trunk cover, unscrew the pump cover and peak in there?

C

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting EfiniX:
Everything is running great save for stopping in steep inclines. Usually stalls. Starts back up fine and as long as I feather the gas, it runs. Road evens out and all is well again. No problem going down hills. I have a keydiver and the car goes to English Racing Thursday for a DSMLink and tuning, so maybe irrelevant at this point. Still, I'm curious.

In ground dyno so the car will stay level?

Wouldn't want a lean out condition or inability to run proper fuel delivery at max power on the dyno.
Know what I mean?

EfiniX

I assume in ground dyno, yes. I hear good things about the English Racing guys.

EfiniX

Dyno'ed at a shade below 300whp @ around 18psi. I'm setup to boost to 22-23psi on 92 octane, but I'm going to longevity over power.

The guys at English Racing did a great job tuning, with followup communication and installation of the DSMLink and ETS intercooler. I mention this first because I'm still having an idle issue, but I also understand that tuning is a process, not a repair. And they managed to fix about half-a-dozen other issue I was having while they were under the hood (dash temp gauge issue, fuel gauge issue, oil leak, coolant leak, etc...)

All that being said, I'm still having stalling issue on steep hills (so really, only my driveway) and when starting the car while warm. The idel when warm is interesting. If I start the vehicle warm, it will either idle around 500 rpm's or die. if I drive it even a block, then it's fine and back to normal. bit of a surge, but just bouncing between 800rpm's and 1000. This I don't mind.

I'm going to play with some of the idle settings and look into some posts I've seen regarding the cold-start system (which sounds counter-intuitive, but I figure it's all part of the idle system).

Of course, and suggestions from the community are, as always, welcome!

Last edited:

EfiniX

Interesting thing to add: it's far less likely to stall on a hill if I my foot isn't on the clutch when I come to a stop (neutral with clutch out)...

EfiniX

So I finally got around to learning a bit of the DSMLink idle controls and got my issue fixed right up. I set the TPS relay adjustment per the EMCTuning instructions, which allowed me to set allow the link to simulate the TPS. I then set the BISS using the live values from the ISCPosition sensor and when I had it dialed to 30, everything was square.

reading the manual. go figure! I'm glad this is what it took since this problem existed with the keydiver that used to be installed.

EfiniX

And one final note.

The BISS was getting itself out of adjustment over time, so I took the screw out and put a new o-ring on. #5 o-ring (3/8"od x 1/4"id x 1/16" wall) from the hardware store.

Tight and awesome and the car even runs better now.

Thanks again to EHMotorsports for some advice along the way!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts