The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo Selection

Sooooo.....I am in the market to buy a turbo and was hoping for some feedback....

I have ran a 20g in a 1g many years back and loved it minus the turbo lag. I want something similar but with less lag. Any suggestions?

Also been hearing of the holset swaps, those worth doing?

Please post your 2 cents!

Thanks dot org'ers

Jesus_Negros

td05h-20g or hta68 maybe?
How much you looking to spend and new/used matter?

mitsuturbo

I agree with this guy ^^^
A 3052 or gt3076r would probably be a good way to go. I certainly love mine!

After reading a ton of articles on that turbo and your recommendations, I am definitely buying!

DynastyLCD

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I agree with this guy ^^^
A 3052 or gt3076r would probably be a good way to go. I certainly love mine!

i agree with the above guys. my 3052 was the most kick ass street turbo. 28 psi by 3800 RPM's!

back to back against an old school FPgreen, the green spooled 600 RPM's later, and didn't quite have the same punch.

turbowop

I love my FP3052. Like I was telling MX4 when I took him for a ride in my car, I don't think I'll ever change it. I could make more power with something bigger, but the overall spool characteristics and streetability of the 3052 is hard to beat. And it's plenty of power, IMO.

turbofonz

Need to hear your goals and fuel - I don't think a 3052 will spool faster than a 20g (depending on which 20g it is).

By the time I put in the turbo, a FMIC, 680cc injectors, FPR, DSM Link, COP, and walbro255 will be installed all at the same time. Oh, and the civic 3core rad w/ slimfan and shroud.

At least thats the plan....

turbofonz

Yes, much bigger injectors, and save the FPR and COP for later.

COP already in my hand unless you want to buy it to help pay for the bigger injectors =)

I was planning on doing a 1g short route kit therefor the civic radiator. Unless....I pickup a GVR4 specific kit then dont need the extra space.

Also keeping A/C in my 100+ degree climate i live in....ugh!

DynastyLCD

just something to think about, i finally got to test out my 20g, its a 7cm hotside with a TD06 exhaust wheel, 3" antisurge housing and regular 20g wheel. makes 26 psi by about 3400-3500 RPMs, thats with a Magnus intake manifold, and a set of HKS 272 cams. but it does not have the same punch that the 3052 did. not by a long shot.

garrett has the GTX3076, you can buy them without an exhaust side for a little over a grand if i remember right. get the FP hotside, and you have a 3052 on steriods.

turbofonz

Quoting NickDub:
COP already in my hand unless you want to buy it to help pay for the bigger injectors =)

I was planning on doing a 1g short route kit therefor the civic radiator. Unless....I pickup a GVR4 specific kit then dont need the extra space.

Unless you have an ignition amplifier, that COP will likely be weaker than stock.

I don't know how well a 1g short route FMIC kit will clear the A/C condensor - check it out.

EMX5636

Quoting NickDub:

The 1G kit will have to be modified on the D/S of the AC condenser. There is a bolt together connection for the lines that will need to be bent/tweaked carefully. I ran my pipe slightly above these, but it required a custom lower pipe with a van-jen style clamp to get it in/out of the car. I'm running a DSM rad in my car, but narrowed the passenger side by about an inch or so to allow the pipe to pass through without any cutting of the rad support.

And for turbo selection, you might want to add my PTE 5857 to the list. I'm getting 31-32psi by mid 4k rpm. Not as fast as a 20G or smaller 30R, but still nice on the street. I'll also offer a Borg Warner S256 or S259. I had bad luck with Bullseye Power, but some have good luck. Cheap, hit hard, and spool nicely in a bolt-on housing.

Last edited:

4thStroke

With the new HTA technology, there is almost no point in buying a new 3052. The DSM76 is the same turbo except with the billet (HTA) compressor wheel. Garrett followed this up with the GTX series turbo. The DSM76 was around long before the GTX, whichever one is better is still up in the air. The DSM76 IS the 3052 on steroids.

The PTE offering is now the 5858 which is supposed to be slightly bigger than the 30R, but again, back to back comparison is still up in the air for the new billet technology.

Buschur made 609awhp and 610ftlbs of torque with the 3076HTA on a Mustang dyno. Think about those those numbers. This was at 40psi, right where Robert at FP told him to crank it up to. The turbo still made good horsepower per pound of boost, a good indication that 40psi was not pushing the 3076HTA past its limits. Being a 30R, the HTA variant will never get the respect it deserves, but it really does perform well. The FP housing is on the small side, but it has proven to flow like a T3. I was able to rev out to 9000RPM and still held over 500awhp (peak was 557, out of fuel), power was not dropping like you would expect from a bolt on housing.

I accidentally had a 40+psi spike on ethanol with the DSM76, before it blew a coupler to shreds, it hit incredibly hard, I would have loved to see how it moved through the upper RPMs at that pressure, but I don't think the motor would have held though, I pegged the MAP sensor just over 40psi (it was free boosting, WG didn't open at all).

Last edited:

turbofonz

Buschur really made that much on one? damn.

Mine's trapped 135.9mph @ 2950lbs. 33-34psi and only 11*. i think it's got a good amount more in it. Just, the motor won't like it all that much LOL.

4thStroke

Yeah, Buschur hated the 30R, then FP released the HTA version and now he likes it, a lot. He runs one on his project pickup now.

You definitely have some more timing left in it unless you were to crank the boost up to close to 40, but yeah, I'd rather keep the block happy.

slowpoke

My buddy has a precision 3071r for sale with PR o2 housing runs external gate off the o2. Nice spool and great power.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned