The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Piston and rod combo?

presterone

Whats a good combination of uprgraded forged pistons and rods for a street car that gets driven often?. I've heard JE were great for just a race car but not very good daily driven. Let me know what you guys are running, thanks!

BadVr4

arias has never given me any trouble, i prefer them over other brands, they use thicker valve pockets and nicer wrist pin clips than most other brands. for a street car i would reccommend I beam rods. they are super strong and should be able to handle anything you can throw at them. some of the cheaper rods such as eagles or manleys have been known to fail over 600 hp, so it all depends on what power levels you are looking for.

citymunky

Evo 9 pistons are forged.

Street Surgeon

Quoting BadVr4:
some of the cheaper rods such as eagles or manleys have been known to fail over 600 hp, so it all depends on what power levels you are looking for.

Got any examples with a 4G63?

presterone

Well wiseco/ scat combination sounds pretty good! Alot of VW's out there running scat internals with great results, aircooled and watercooled. I will be lucky if my car has over three hundred horsepower, I just have a spare longblock that I am rebuilding and why not upgrade a little bit. I'm wondering now about leaving stock rods and uprgrade just the pistons. The rods look beefy as hell in these cars. I am not looking to build some high powered drag car I will be happy after I get some good cams and install the brian crower valvetrain.

matt92vr4

I just did this dance two months ago and decided to go with OEM 2g pistons and OEM 1g rods. I'll never go bigger than a 16G turbo. The 2g pistons up the C/R to 8.5:1. It will save you a couple hundred bucks too.

Vr4junkie

Quoting presterone:
I'm wondering now about leaving stock rods and uprgrade just the pistons. The rods look beefy as hell in these cars. I am not looking to build some high powered drag car I will be happy after I get some good cams and install the brian crower valvetrain.

I belive most aftermarket pistons use C clips and stock are pressed pins.

Whats your power goals you might not even need forged pistons check out turbowop car 424whp on pump/meth stock block if you dont ever plan on going any higher then you might aswell save the money and buy stock pistons and save a few hundred dollars.

bmxr152

yeah the stock short block should last up to 450whp. im pushing 27psi on my stock short block on my hx40 setup, logging 47lbs min. I will go with evo 9 pistons on 1g rods next, i had that setup on my laser before and loved the way the engine ran and sounded. Revved super fast too.

BadVr4

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Quoting BadVr4:
some of the cheaper rods such as eagles or manleys have been known to fail over 600 hp, so it all depends on what power levels you are looking for.

Got any examples with a 4G63?

yes, I had my eagle rods fail on me, and have seen several others who have had eagle rods bend at higher hp

Street Surgeon

What power level were you at when yours failed? I googled "eagle rod failure 4G63" and only one thread popped up; it was on an evo and the cause was determined to be a cracked sleeve in the block that let coolant in which hydrolocked the motor thus the rod was not at fault. There are TONS and TONS of sets of these rods out there and I could only find one instance of them failing on a 4G63, which as it turned out, was no fault of the rods themselves. More often than not (as in 99.9999999% of the time) it's the machinist, tuner, or other circumstances that are to blame.

Last edited:

presterone

Whats your power goals you might not even need forged pistons check out turbowop car 424whp on pump/meth stock block if you dont ever plan on going any higher then you might aswell save the money and buy stock pistons and save a few hundred dollars.

This is very true high three hundreds would be about all I need really. With a good tune it should hold up eh?

LIV4PSI

Wop has methanol injection, which is a great safeguard against knock. I wouldn't push a stock block close to 400whp without Meth or E85.

EVO IX forged pistons on stock 6 bolt rods would be a good, cheap route. You have to have them machined just like the 2g pistons though.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

first trip to the dyno, ever. put down 383 awhp. FP3052 @ 23 psi, pump 93, VPC/GCC. stock bottom end. second trip, 6 months later, 396 with v3 and 27 psi being the only changes. made it for 50k miles before ringlands cracked and i was ruthless to that engine.

funny part is, woulda lasted longer if i never had the Buschur 660 chip and VPC...

presterone

WOW. That was a good stock bottom end. How many miles were on it before the dyno numbers? What oil brand and grade did you use? Did you have a MLS and ARP headstuds?

I have this book on ''how to build performance 4G63's'' and in the book it says the stock bottom end is good for about twenty psi with a big 16G, I have pushed that theory many times with my boost spike issues. Going 23 to 27psi on some pulls and so far so good.

turbowop

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Wop has methanol injection, which is a great safeguard against knock. I wouldn't push a stock block close to 400whp without Meth or E85.

EVO IX forged pistons on stock 6 bolt rods would be a good, cheap route. You have to have them machined just like the 2g pistons though.

I haven't always had meth injection. I installed that in '07. Before that I used 110 octane leaded fuel at the track. But it's seen lots and lots of track passes at 118mph and up. 30psi on an old FPgreen and then installed the FP3052 in '06, which is spiking to 31psi and settling at 28ish. I've played with the tune and seen knock. Even with meth, you can get knock if you push the timing, boost, or A/F too much on a given setup. The stock motors are amazing at handling good power. I don't think I'll ever do a full engine build. If anything ever happens to this one, in goes another JDM "low mile" import. Simple and effective. And I'm happy with the power output.

turbowop

Actually, I'm not sure. I've never needed one. Maybe they're not as available anymore, but ten years ago it seemed like guys were always getting them from importers with like 40k miles on them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts