The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head gasket instructions.

gvr4ever

What instructions are the home installers using when changing out a head gasket?

GSTwithPSI

The head gasket is easy. It's the timing belt install that's the more difficult part: click

Make sure you head and block mating surfaces are clean and flat. Make sure you follow all torque removal and install procedures, and reinstall your cas properly. Those are the big ticket items. Look in the library here for more info on the actual head removal and install procedures.

Last edited:

rdomeck

I thought you were going to sell this car?

gvr4ever

Quoting rdomeck:
I thought you were going to sell this car?

I was going too, but I don't know what the replacement would be. I've also put a lot of parts and work in to it. She sure knows how to be a cold bitch. Just needs to be tamed.

gvr4ever

Quoting 4thStroke:
Are you putting n MLS or composite gasket on?

I won't know till the head gets checked out. If I can, just composite.

gvr4ever

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
The head gasket is easy. It's the timing belt install that's the more difficult part: click

Make sure you head and block mating surfaces are clean and flat. Make sure you follow all torque removal and install procedures, and reinstall your cas properly. Those are the big ticket items. Look in the library here for more info on the actual head removal and install procedures.

I've done the timing belt a few times, just never taken the head off.

DynastyLCD

Quoting gvr4ever:
I've done the timing belt a few times, just never taken the head off.

you've done the hard part then. i leave both intake and exhaust manifolds on the head when i pull it off. that way, if you have to change the gaskets, you can do it easily on the bench. also, if you don't need to surface the head, then you won't need to change these gaskets either.

here's my disconnect/removal checklist:
- drain coolant
- unclip wiring harness, lay it out of the way
- remove plug wires
- remove valve cover
- upper IC pipe comes off throttle body
- unbolt 4 exhaust manifold to turbo bolts
- remove alt belt and unbolt timing cover
- line timing marks up, remove timing belt
- disconnect upper radiator hose, heater core hose, and the one throttle body hose for the FIAV
- turbo feed line (if you feed from the head)
- unbolt and disconnect throttle cable
- vac lines (BOV, brake booster, FPR, whatever else on intake manifold)
- loosen the 10 bolts from the head to the block (i loosen them all 1/2 turn first, going OUTSIDE to INSIDE, then remove in same pattern)

every car varies. as i'm writing this, i'm using my (because-race-car-hoopty) 1g as my example. i don't have PS, AC, emissions crap, etc. so it's a lot easier and less work for me to pull the head off of my car. some cars depending on how unmolested they are, still have the bracket from the stock intake manifold to the block. if you have a friend, or engine hoist, head removal is easy and effortless, even with both manifolds still attached. its not so bad, just make sure your surfaces are clean and flat. good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts