The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Overheating and no heat

slowpoke

Ok guys i am lost for words and thoughts on this one.

Replaced:
thermostat
heater core and hoses
radiator
radiator cap

Waterpump is flowing as needed and thermostat is opening when it should. Fans are kicking it at proper temp. ALL temp sensors are in working condition. my stock temp gauge goes to the 3/4 mark (never in the red) and it will fall back to the middle after a minute or 2. The cooling system is building pressure BUT the heater core hoses are not getting hot at all and have no pressure. i recently pulled the turbo off and waterpipe to do a check there and found no clogs in the system and i flushed every coolant passage on this car and found nothing to be wrong. There is no coolant in the oil and cars compression is 150 150 145 150. Everything is in working order except the fact of the overheating and no heat and since its getting cold here in WI and i have a 1 year old, heat needs to work. Any thoughts?

turbofonz

You have a lot of air in the system. run it with the radiator cap off

rdomeck

+1 one on the air in the system. Bring it up to operating temp with the cap off. Although I haven't had a problem with the VR-4 some cars need to be raised up in the front so that the radiator fill is the highest thing in the system.

Another thing I do is to squeeze the coolant hoses as it's warming up to push any air in the system out and then fill with more coolant!

And only one one year old? I have 4 year old twins......It's the only way to go, well unless you like sleeping, or doing anything outside of work and kids!

5OF2k

As previously stated, jack the front of the car up a bit and let it run with the cap off, squeezing the radiator hoses as you go. Also, its impotant to have the temperature selector in the "hot" position so that the heater core is letting coolant in.

-Jake

slowpoke

I used one of those easy fill no spill funnels off the cornwell truck. Seemed to have all the air out. This problem happened randomly one day while driving.

turbofonz

You didn't have the radiator cap off or anything?

Honestly, there's no real way around - it's air in the system. I don't know what else would cause those symptoms.

slowpoke

When the problem occurred the cap was never taken off and cooling system was never messed with

Drove the car tonight when it would begin to overheat I would get heat in the car, when at operating temp it would blow cold

turbowop

Quoting 5OF2k:
Also, its impotant to have the temperature selector in the "hot" position so that the heater core is letting coolant in.

Not on our cars. Coolant circulates through the core regardless of where the selector is set.

SmoothCustomer

It certainly does sound like air or some other blockage in the system. Is the heater core the only thing that doesn't seem to be flowing? Maybe just replace the thermostat housing? It sounds like you've replaced or at least checked for blockage in every other part. I don't really know what could have gone wrong in the thermostat housing, it's not that complex but maybe something's up in one of the little passages you can't get to.

slowpoke

Yea I looked at the housing no blockage at all. Just the heater core hoses aren't hot.

5OF2k

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting 5OF2k:
Also, its impotant to have the temperature selector in the "hot" position so that the heater core is letting coolant in.

Not on our cars. Coolant circulates through the core regardless of where the selector is set.

News to me! Good to know though, thanks sir!

slowpoke

Been there done that.

slowpoke

Car has never leaked a drop, everything was where it should be heat was working fine just one day the car had a sh*t fit. Investigated a little more and found traces of stop leak coating the hoses, I replaced every coolant hose now. Heat is starting to work. But only when the car is begining to over heat.

ktmrider

He indicates in the first post the core was replaced.

OP your last post jogged a memory. Had a car years ago with exact same symptoms, turns out a PO had dumped a ton of stop-leak into the system which ultimately clogged the return line fitting at the block/water neck. Pulled the hoses off ( to/from core ) and jabbed a screwdriver into the fittings. Voila, obstruction gone and a toasty warm heating circuit.

OldHairyBastard

Another thing it could be is that the water pump fins have broken off and clogged up the head on that side which will not allow for cooling of the engine or let fluid go through to the heater core. I've seen this happen twice now. If you have already tried everything else then it may be time to look at the waterpump.

slowpoke

That's a reasonable answer I can go with. If that is the case does the head have to be pulled off?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts