The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

O2 housing to turbo bolts

Do these bolts use nuts at the other end? Will they back off if I don't put a lock washer or nut on the other side?

Also, there is no stud in the location that is supposed to be studded. Can I just use bolts even in the studded location without nuts?

Sorry for the missing details, I took my car apart like a slob without paying attention not realizing how expensive and hard to get bolts are on these vehicles. Now I am paying the price.

Thanks

Ok, checked CAPS and need to use washers for the 3 bolts that I have. At this point, I'd like to know why I can't just use 4 bolts and 4 washers instead of buying a stud.

I think the bolts are OEM.

SmoothCustomer

Actually I *think* you can make it. Don't quote me on that though. If it fits, there is certainly no reason you can't just use a bolt.

Wizardawd

On a stock o2 housing, the curve of the wastegate port allows enough room to clear the space of a nut. IE, stud only. Aftermarket versions, some have enough room to clear a full length bolt.

Making it fit requires some grinding and clearancing on the OE cast iron piece. And probably enough that it would be quite thin afterwards.

Wiz

James

You can fit a bolt. I remember being at the track and one friend blew his 14b. Another friend too his off his car and they were putting it on the other car. In the process the stud became lost. With modifications they got a bolt to fit.

I know it wasn't optimal and I know they fixed it correctly when we got back in town. I'm not sure what they did to make it fit and I'm sure whatever they did wasn't worth it in the end.

Footnotes: does work, requires modifications, wouldn't do it.

Thanks all...I got away with it. Might be because I am using an aftermarket O2 housing though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts