The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intermittent Engine Miss/Shutdown

Newbie here with a new problem on my VR4. Over the past few days, every once in a while (maybe every 2 or 3 days), my engine loses power suddenly and then within half-a-second runs normally. It's happened when idling, or when going thru the gears (a bit disconcerting when getting on the expressway!), and yesterday it started doing something a little different. I was going up an on-ramp when it bogged down. I pulled over to the shoulder and I kept my foot in the throttle (about 1/3 open), and the motor seemed to "cycle" between 1k and 2k rpm. It would go up to 2k then immediately drop to 1k then up to 2 k then drop, etc. It did this for about 3 minutes, never dying entirely, although I kept my foot on the gas (1/3 depressed accelerator peddle) for fear it would die completely. After about 3-4 minutes of this, it suddenly sprang to life and revved up to about 4k (my foot was still on the gas so it responded accordingly).After that, I drove about 5 miles home and without a problem. I accelerated hard, softly, put it in neutral and let it idle. No problem showed up. I'm wondering of I could have a coil going bad. I don't think it'd be a CPS would it - don't they cause misses at all rpms and then just go dead? Fuel pump relay?

Any ideas would be appreciated. (Car has recent plugs, wires, and I have a ecu capacitor set on the way.)

Thanks

Wayne

Okayplayer

I would check your intercooler piping. Sounds like you have a cracked coupling or something is loose.

I'll pull that and look for "bubbled" capacitors. Any other tell-tale signs of ecu issues I should look for on the circuit board?

Thanks

cheekychimp

Smell the board. Sounds stupid but a faint fishy odour is as clear tale a sign as the capacitors themselves.

Xcelerate

Try a boost leak test. Also check for loose wires on coolant temp, power transistor and coils. Do a tune up new plugs and wires. Also replace the fuel pump and do a compression test.

5OF2k

Sounds sort of similar to an issue I was having when my coil bracket kept coming loose and causing my coils to intermittently short. Might be something worth looking into.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

JoeDaddy0

Oddly enough I had the same symptoms as a result of one failing spark plug wire until the wire actually failed. I guessed everything from ignition, ecu, fuel pump as it gave all of those symptoms. That may be why some would think it is a coil.

that sounds like a ecu. with a scand tool look at the baro&battery voltage if the numbers jump around its the ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned