The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Re-Skin a GVR4 Roof, has anybody done this before?

citymunky

Re-Skin a GVR4 Roof, has anybody done this before? I'm about 70% done with 1505 on the road again, and I justed picked up again nile black shell yesterday with a sunroof. I would love to had a GVR4 with a sunroof as I miss having a sunroof, I use to used all the time in my last. I know the sunroof works, and does not leak and there are 2 ways I can go about keeping the sunroof.

option 1) Remove ALL my parts from 1505 and install them in the new shell (No need of outside help, I can do this by myself, but this will take me a long time)
option 2) Reskin roof, and retrofit Sunroof into 1505 before its paint job. (Need outside help (aka Welder), willn't take as long, but it will cost more)

If anybody reskinned a roof, any pointers would be helpful.

theevozero

And to change over the body harness. Or at least the section that runs through the roof. I think I would rather just put all your go fast stuff into the shell.

Barnes

I'd love to see it done. I've considered it myself a few times because I HATE sunroof cars, but there are so many of them. When I was scrapping Karter's car I noticed a little bit about how the roof panel was installed. I think in addition to being spot welded it is sealed usign some kind of tough body sealant. (I'm sure there is a proper term for that stuff, but I forget.)

I figured the procedure would involve building some type of bracing that bolts to the top of the pillars. This bracing would hold the position of the rest of the body after removing the roof. (I'm not sure if you REALLY need a brace, but it couldn't hurt.)

I think the hard part would be getting the thing apart with all that body panel glue everywhere. The stuff looks REALLY tough. The rest would probably be straight forward.

JNR

didn't somebody offer a CF roof, or maybe somebody did that some time ago, or perhaps it was just talk; thinking it was a different car as people are too cheap to put thta kind of $ and effort into these cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rdomeck

I have re-skinned many body panels including a handful of roofs.....Not to bad once you do a few of them. You can take your time and drill out each spot weld with a spot weld drill that you can pick up at most auto parts stores. This would probably take about 12 hours labor from start to finish. Plan on doubling that on your first one. You would need to pull the roof moulding's, most of the interior and the front and rear glass.

Bring it on over to Indianapolis and I'll do it. Could do all the paint work on it to. I run a fabrication/restoration business and have a full body shop including a down draft paint booth!

KiNgMaRtY

I would say your fist option is the best. People do it with the Evo roofs to install a CF or aluminum roof.
I must have a sunroof. I use mine all the time

citymunky

Quoting TheEvoZero:
And to change over the body harness. Or at least the section that runs through the roof. I think I would rather just put all your go fast stuff into the shell.

It's not just go fast parts, it's both front and rear subframes, gas tank, the WHOLE interior including HVAC stuff, engine/tranny, Non ABS setup, front axles assy, Engine wiring hardness, etc.

theevozero

I stand by what I said. Something tells me the car would never be the same after cutting it open like a sardine can.

misterfixit

as was said earlier it's just a bunch of welds.

you will need both front and rear screens out. It's been documented on here before.
The only loom change is the roof loom (the one for the interior light)

Rich

JNR

Remember you are replacing a skin and not a structural piece, so the car's integrity will not suffer (UNLESS the welder is not doing it right and warping the structural metal, let's say). It's really not hard for somebody with the right equipment, patience and common sense/experience, etc.

LIV4PSI

Quoting Barnes:
I HATE sunroof cars

Me too! Hard tops are even more rare, don't get rid of another one, please.

misterfixit

Quoting JNR:
Remember you are replacing a skin and not a structural piece, so the car's integrity will not suffer (UNLESS the welder is not doing it right and warping the structural metal, let's say). It's really not hard for somebody with the right equipment, patience and common sense/experience, etc.

Well not exactly. you will need to remove the whole roof. the only part that will be retained is the inner crossmember. the skin forms the outside. You will also need to pull off the centre brace as the sunroof needs it out the way.

Rich

spooling92vr4

Seems like a waste to ruin a non sunroof car since they are among the rarest.

citymunky

You guys are crazy.

If I was build a real road race/drag queen/rally car I would keep the hard top. But the simple fact is I want the Galant as my daily some with weekends doing Autocross or road track time. Look at my build tread, I'm reinstalling A/C, sold my manual streering rack, and I'm replace/rebuild almost all parts that can fail.

I know Hardtops are rare, but so are E33A galants this days

transparentdsm

i wouldn't change it... i have a aftermarket sunroof in my car and it leaks like a pig... screwed up my whole interior.. had to strip the inside of the car out and im still hunting down leaks.. i know the car has a stock sunroof in it that doesnt leak, but dont go cutting things, it will never be right. unless you bring it to someone like rdomeck who is a professional, but that will cost a lot of money.. if anything do the full swap.

citymunky

There should be no cutting involved. I'm no body guy, but I am a Aviation Structural Mechanic and have been for the last 10 years.

gotclutch87

I dont have a sunroof either i kind of like it. No worries /leaks are extra glass that could break then have to hunt down a new one

transparentdsm

Quoting citymunky:
There should be no cutting involved. I'm no body guy, but I am a Aviation Structural Mechanic and have been for the last 10 years.

how would there be no cutting involved? how would you re-skin the roof without cutting

LIV4PSI

Quoting citymunky:

If I was build a real road race/drag queen/rally car I would keep the hard top.

Its not just the extra 50lbs or so on the roof that makes me no like them. I find them aesthetically way less pleasing than hardtop cars. The sunroof models just don't look as good, on the outside or on the inside. Plus, I know I wouldn't use one if I had it. I like T-Tops and targa tops, just not sunroofs.

Then again, my GVR4 has no AC, PS, CC, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts