The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Data logger connection help

James

Well since I've got the idle worked out, now I'll take the time and pick your brains about why my logger won't connect to the car....

Problem: serial connection error

Facts about my car:
-1990 galant GSX
-Dsm motor/trans swapped in
-1992 ECU swapped in
-don't know If wiring harness was swapped or stock on modified to work.

When I plug it all in and open the program and select all the values it would like it to read then select start... I get nothing. It cycles through the list of items to read at the bottom then pauses itself.

If I go into the options and go to "read codes" or however it's worded I get the serial error.

The port works, and by that I mean I can pull engin codes by using pins 1 and 12 with my buzzer

James

And just to maybe spark someone's memory about an obscure situation...

I read a while back, but I can't find it now, that someone had a similar issue, with a nt talon that had a turbo motor trans ECU swapped in like me... He couldn't get the car to connect with the pilot, he found out that the harness side of the o2 is different, he cut in the correct wiring for the ECU plug and it fixed his problem...

Can someone confirm or deny that NT o2 on the harness side and turbo o2 on the harness side are the same or different?

James

No luck here huh?

James

Ttt on this... I've been googling since I posted this and haven't come up with anything :/

jepherz

Staff member
What are you using to connect with? Have you used this combo successfully in the past?

James

Let me see if I still have the pic, I'll edit with pics

42F39B70-EB1B-489D-AF31-CF3A259E6972-5623-0000048BFEE6579C.jpg

I have not used it before but the user on here I purchased it from obviously claimed it works.

And I have no local Dsm crowd to help me with this.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
You aren't using any converter or null modem adapter on the palm to logger cable connection, are you? Did you buy the entire setup from one person?

James

Yea all from one person. It goes like this..

Palm pilot
Palm end of the cord1 to serial end of cord1
Serial end of cord2 to diagnostics port end of plug2

James

Like so.. If I go into check codes I get a "serial comm error" or something similar.

74D32903-8BE0-46AD-B97C-FB0C94692A9F-7438-0000069F9F8A808C.jpg

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Those datalogger cables are picky about what adapters you use. With connecting to a laptop in the past, I found you will get the same comm error if you use a generic pos brand db9 to usb adapter (if it's not something like a keyspan, it's garbage), I wonder if it's the same for the db9 to Palm adapter.

James

That's mostly what I've read also, Tim. I wish I knew someone who had a working cable to test with! Buying a "name brand" cable seems doesn't seem like best option (money wise) as it may not even work, but perhaps my only option.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting raptorreed:
Those datalogger cables are picky about what adapters you use. With connecting to a laptop in the past, I found you will get the same comm error if you use a generic pos brand db9 to usb adapter (if it's not something like a keyspan, it's garbage), I wonder if it's the same for the db9 to Palm adapter.

There's nothing simulating the serial signal in the setup pictured so it wouldn't have the same issues with the connector.

Only thing I can think is either the cable is bad, or it's wired up for a PC with the wrong gender. If this is the case, you can swap pins 2 and 3 by getting a null modem adapter. That'd be a pretty big goof when making that cable though...

James

Can you go into a little more detail there for me Jeff? Wires and electronics really just aren't my thing.

jepherz

Staff member
The pins on a palm DB9 connector are reversed between PC and palm. Therefore, when you're using one or the other device, you'd have to switch pins 2 and 3 (transmit and receive) for the cable to work. However, they are also different genders, so it's probably not likely that this is the cause being that the gender of db9 on your cable is set up to hook into the Palm. If you know the diagnostics port is good, it really sounds like the only other thing you can try is start swapping out the cables for known working ones.

James

The pOrt works as far as I can use my buzzer to pull codes and It works to correctly set the idle. Are there other ways to test it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts