The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to make a big turbo fit in a gvr4???

pyro719

I am currently running a big 16g and want to step it up to a 35r. Whats it take to fit a big turbo in our cars? Anyone got pics of their engine bays?

Last edited:

turbowop

I run an FP3052 in my car. The FP3065 is basically the 35r version of my turbo and is the exact same size. It fits fine with a stock radiator, AC, etc.

LIV4PSI

Aren't both 3052 and 3065 turbos 30R turbine wheels with different sized compressor wheels?

OP, why the 35R? Plenty of stock location turbos are capable of producing more power than most of our cars are fully ready to handle. Unless the rest of your setup is ready for 500whp, I wouldn't worry about going beyond a stock bolt on type turbo setup.

If you need space, here are a few tips. The should freee up alot of room in that general area
-Civic style radiator, or delete AC and relocate a DSM radiator
-Slim fans
-foward facing oil filter housing or relocation
-Alternator relocation

Last edited:

turbowop

FAwk. I can't remember now. I guess they both do use the same turbine wheel/housing, but I was always under the impression that the 3065 was teh 35r variant of the same turbo. It's been a long time since I looked at turbo specs.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Thanks for the info Wop. I had a feeling I misuderstood things and knew you would set me straight.

Edit: nevermind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

I completely revised what I said in that last reply. I honestly can't remember now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

EMX5636

I had a topmount manifold built by JMFabrications to retain A/C, P/S, stock oil filter housing etc. Not cheap, but looks sexy and performs very well. I can fit a 35R, S300, or even a 37R with this setup. All have been test fitted while building. I have my fans relocated to the front, and run a DSM radiator tilted slightly forward.

26.jpg

Last edited:

524of1000

I run a GT35 in mine. It was a tight fit between the turbo and radiator, but it fit. Having said that, I like more room for activities, so I moved the radiator forward a bit...

onesickcrx

I wanted to be able to fit a 35R in my galant and have it spool it like a 30r, plus retain power steering and A/C. The manifold I had JMF build me was just a beautiful peace I did tuck the rad tho in order to gain more room. This exact manifold is for sale in the for sale section by another board member... Just saying....

Below is a 42r reversred on a HKS manifold back in 2005- needed a smaller radiator, etc.

Below is a pte true T-70 back in 2001, also needed smaller radiator- has a Team Ducktape manifold to make it top mount

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting onesickcrx:
I wanted to be able to fit a 35R in my galant and have it spool it like a 30r, plus retain power steering and A/C. The manifold I had JMF build me was just a beautiful peace I did tuck the rad tho in order to gain more room. This exact manifold is for sale in the for sale section by another board member... Just saying....

This manifold won't work for say an HX-40 or HX-52 will it? Everyone talks about how you need to have your oil return line coming straight down and to the pan, but with this manifold one of the wastegate tubes would be in the way am I correct?

EMX5636

His might be a little harder because it's a divided manifold, but my JMF topmount has a straight shot down to the pan. And since it's much higher up than a bottom mount, doesn't need a goofy 90* at the pan. Mine is a -10 straight at the turbo, with about a foot of hose, then a 45* at the pan so it's probably free-er flowing than the stock setup.

WaRrIoRs16

Which JMF topmount are you using? The one in that picture is the JMF topmount made specifically for the galant.

EMX5636

Mine was done custom for my car, before that one was produced (also T3 setup vs T4). I only have one WG underneath the turbo's compressor housing. It's similar, but I kept the turbo a bit closer to the D/S. JMF is local to me (and good friends), so I had a lot of input when we were mocking it up. If it's something you're interested in, they have the jigs we made up to build another one.

4thStroke

The 3052 is a bolt on version of the 3076. The 3065 is a bolt on turbo with a 30R turbine and 3582R compressor wheels.

FP makes a bolt on 3582 and 3586.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts