The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RE: how to make a tow hitch

mitsuturbo

WOW! Amazing thread. click

Rather than chutter it up with this comment, i would rather just make a new thread, commending the author and asking that it be put in the tech section immediately.

IncorpoRatedX

on my hitch I used all 4 of the stock tow hook mounting bolt holes. I'm sure that hitch is strong enough for what he's doing with it, but there's 2 more holes on each side of the car in the event anyone wants to brace more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

great write up!

JamesFoster

Quoting mitsuturbo:
WOW! Amazing thread. click

Rather than chutter it up with this comment, i would rather just make a new thread, commending the author and asking that it be put in the tech section immediately.

Thanks! I'm really stoked on how it turned out.

Quoting Alpha Male:
on my hitch I used all 4 of the stock tow hook mounting bolt holes. I'm sure that hitch is strong enough for what he's doing with it, but there's 2 more holes on each side of the car in the event anyone wants to brace more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

great write up!

I considered using the other two bolt holes also, but I didn't have any tow hooks to use and fabricating something to use those bolt holes would be kind of a pain, plus like you said I using the 4 bolt holes I did use will be more than enough.

The way I built it though, I can always add more bracing in the event I decide to start pulling 3k+ lb. trailers with my VR4, lol.

Last edited:

JamesFoster

Figured I would add this to this thread, it was asked in the other one and this is my two cents regarding what class it is.

Quoting alansupra94:
Wow, that looks amazing.

I guess my question now stands, what kind of class do you think that hitch is?

I would say class I, mainly because it's only using 4 of the available 8 mounting bolt holes. There are two more bolt holes on each side where the tow hooks would mount.
I would say that class II would be fine, if you use the additional 4 bolt holes that are underneath. The only reason I didn't, is because it would take a little more fabricating as the bolt holes are located perpendicular and higher up than the ones I used, making it a little more difficult to build. However I think down the road I might go ahead and do it, just to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned