The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

With a vented hood, can I now leave the ugly heat shield off my 2g exhaust mani?

Posted somewhere at some point in time and it was supposedly a big no no to leave the heat shield off. Now that I have a vented hood, does the same apply?

Thanks

GVR47111K

I never had one so I don't know. Another thing to look into if you're going to ditch the heat shield is now those holes where the 2 ( I believe ) bolts bolt in to the mani will need attention.

Barnes

Unless you have some very specific reason to leave the heat shield off, you should leave it on. The radiative heat that comes off that thing is tremendous and will adversely affect anything that has line-of-sight to the manifold.

turbofonz

I think an uncoverd 2g manifold looks worse that the heatshield... Leave it on. Or get an FP manifold if you want something to show off.

My heat shield looks like crap. Last owner ran an EGT probe into the exhaust manifold and dug a notch into the heat shield. I took it off and put some high temp paint on the heat shield which held ok. However that notch looks like crap and is peeling. The surface rust is also coming right through the heat shield.

Barnes

Buy a new heat shield, or one that is used in good shape.

Barnes

I think he's talking about the top heatshield. Which I don't think has much effect on the alternator.

I am talking about the top heat shield....funny you mention alternators and lower heat shields....my car has no lower heat shield and alternators don't last me long....this Denso reman is the longest lasting so far!

A big hmmmmm now.

ade

wait.. there's a lower heat shield?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Feel my pain!!

Barnes

If you don't want to keep wasting money on alternators, put your lower heatshield on.

JNR

IIRC, there is a heat shield for the oem O2 housing (and EVO III) that helps, also. It's too bad your manifold shield is messed up, but as others mentioned, I'd get another one and paint it. When I was running my EVO III I did that and it looked pretty nice when it was done. In addition, I put some aluminum foild around the manifold in bewteen the shield and it seemed to help.

As for the oem shield near the PS pump, it's sort of a joke, but better than nothing...I'll post up shortly on the custom shield I ended up making that should do away with any concerns of overheated alternators /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But, whatever you do, IMO you really need to run a heat shield in as many places as possible (oem), since it gets quite hot, although I'm sure the vented hood helps a little when you're driving.

AWDPower

The heat sheild isn't only to protect other components. It's also there to keep heat in the exhaust manifold. The more heat that stays in the manifold, the more energy there is to spool the turbo.

curtis

^This....I wondered as I read this thread if anyone was going to point this out.

ade

i was told there is one more oem gvr4 upper heat shield left in the country, $80 . . .. EIGHTY BUX!
pass, i'll forge one outa ss.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
they have more coming. 2g version is cheaper.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts