The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WHat are my options for aluminum radiators?

JamesFoster

Where can I find a direct fit aluminum radiator?

And secondly, any reason NOT to switch to a DSM style radiator with the RAD cap on the Thermostat housing?

gvr4ever

I got a replacement needing to replace a leaky one(not upgraded performance one). The one I got from O'Riley parts was actually aluminum. Plastic top and bottom, but aluminum core.

The DSM relocated cap is a PITA to fill because the flow rate is so slow. Takes forever, easy to spill.

JNR

Why aluminum, using the same size (won't be as efficient)?

Barnes

Unless you are comparing to a copper radiator (which I don't know if they exist anymore) an aluminum radiator will be more efficient. Especially if you consider cooling performance vs. weight.

JNR

Yes, I am comparing a copper/brass radiator (which I have one in #20 as an oem replacement; forgot the brand though) and unless it has a different design and/or far more surface area (i.e. FPI), aluminum will not be as efficient (has about 62% of the heat trasfer rate of copper)...Weight, sure aluminum is lighter (about 31% the weight of copper), BUT there isn't that much material to make a huge difference, considering and there's probably more liquid weight inside than the entire weight of the radiator (I'm sure you've picked up an empty radiator on these to see how light they are).

Anyhow, only reason I bring this up is I'm curious as to why it needs to be aluminum and/or if the OP was aware of this, as he mentioned direct fit and therefore is constrained to the same rows/size as oem, which really wouldn't give him a lot of benefit and especially considering the possible cost difference...It does look nice though (aluminum) and I'm sure it'll work fine, as these cars don't suffer many heating issues, provided everything is up to par.

Last edited:

talon rad sits lower than galant rad.
so if you put a talon one in a galant, you will trap air bubbles in the rad and you cant get them out with out the rad cap on the top of the rad that only the galant provides.

i have heard that the evo 3 aftermarket rad fits nicely....
otherwise there is a guy who sells them on ebay from china. i bought one and it works great. evo 3 rads are less expensive.

marui

a lot of guys here in the philippines got the evo3 (ebay aluminum rad) which fits nicely. we usually pair it with the 2g eclipse OE fan.

JamesFoster

I think I'll go with the Evo3 route, thanks guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned