The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo III 5th gear

TurboDSM

I have a 91 GVR4 and I purchased a evo III 5th gearset and before I install it, im wondering if theres a way to see if I have the later 91 AWD trans. I was told the 89-early 91 are different and the gear will not work.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

5OF2k

As far as I know, there's a measure ment of the gear select levers on the transmission that are different lengths.... Im not 100% on which is which, but if you go to www.jackstransmissions.com those guys would definitely be able to answer your questions.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

DynastyLCD

pull all the cases off, til youre looking at the gear stacks.

look at the center diff. if it has the mark in the gear teeth, its a 92-99 center diff. if no mark in the gear teeth, its the 89-91 style.

if the 3-4 shift fork has 3 holes and travels through all 3 shift rails, its a 93-99 transmission.

by chance, if you really lucked out, you'll pull it apart to find the mark in the gear teeth, but the 3-4 shift fork will only ride on two rails. this is the badass late '91 - '92.5 transmission. no weak 3-4 hub & slider. evo 3 stuff will drop right into this transmission.

TurboDSM

Thanks for the response.
I know how to tell from the inside, im trying to figure out how to tell from the outside, if there is any.

DynastyLCD

check the vin? 10th digit/letter will tell you what year the car it came out of was.

donniekak

Check if the 5th shift fork is steel, or aluminum. The evo 5th will work in an early trans, you just need the hub, slider, fork, synchros, and end case off of a later unit.

Vr4junkie

This is what your looking for click hope this helps out a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts