The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 6 spd

turbojew

Will it bolt up? If so what if any modification is needed.

Barnes

It will not work. Period.

James

Do a full Evo motor swap.

citymunky

Not true, with enough money almost anything will work. The question is why even try?

Here is a Evo 4G63 in a non turbo 2g shell. (given that a 420A sits on the opposite side of
DSM 4G63 to begin with)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

JNR

Yeah, saying it can't or won't work is not true, BUT it's also not a bolt-on tpye of thing and imagine there would be a lot of custom things to 'bolt it' to one of our 4G63's and probably not worth it...Wished our cars came with a 6-speed for highway use though (revs so high even at 70 in 5th!), but not at the expense of weakness...

You'd probably have an easier time trying to put a T-56 or something in the galant than an Evo one though, lol...not really, but at least it would be a superior transmission then, making it worthwhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

revs are high at 80MPH

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
In this case, saying it can't or won't work IS true, as long as we are discussing using the existing engine in the car (which we can generally assume since he stated "bolt up"). The Evo trans has only 2 shafts, not three since the engine is placed opposite in the vehicle. You would have 6 speeds reverse, and one forward IF you could install it in the car, which you can't for various many other reasons (such as where the halfshafts would be positioned, etc).

Barnes

Quoting citymunky:
Not true, with enough money almost anything will work. The question is why even try?

The question was: "will it bolt up?". The answer is no. I don't call any of the nonsense that 2g owner did 'modifications'. To me it is obvious that the OP was asking if he could just buy an Evo 6spd and just put in in his GVR4 without much fanfair.

I hate people busting out the unicorn examples of crap to try and make it sound like even 0.00000000001% of GVR-4 should even think of doing any of this crap.

cheekychimp

Or if you want to do it properly and avoid all the fabrication of a motorswap, talk to Albins Off-Road Gear.

For $9000-AUD they will make you a six-speed helical cut dog box gearset and for $650-AUD they will machine your stock VR4 transmission case to take the gearset. You can choose your final ratio 3.545, 3.909 or 4.3 if you have the ring and pinions. For an additional $150-AUD per gear they will make you custom ratios. Factor in an additional $400-AUD for any seals, gaskets and bearings that require replacing and you have a kick-ass bulletproof transmission that will stand up to almost anything!

It is a lot of money, but my opinion having spent a lot of money on modifying bikes and cars over the years is this! If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, this is the first mod I would do with all the preventative maintenance. For a daily I'd go for a conservative 300-350hp build on this transmission with a decent suspension setup and drive the sh*t out of the thing. If I ever get my project car built it might turn out to be a great car but my daily is one heck of a blast to drive, and (when I am on my own) is as fast or faster than every M3, modded Civic, Evo or Subaru I have come across with what are essentially just OEM Evo III and Evo VI Mitsubishi parts.

It will fly under the radar too.

curtis

Quoting citymunky:

Here is a Evo 4G63 in a non turbo 2g shell. (given that a 420A sits on the opposite side of
DSM 4G63 to begin with)
attachment.php

attachment.php

I call your evo motor 2G and raise you a V6 2g
click me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

citymunky

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

It also looks like that 2g has more space in the bay than the 3/Si's did.

DR1665

Will the Evo gearbox bolt up? No. Is it possible? Yes. But I guess we've beaten that horse.

@citymunky - Can't help but notice the 2GNT you posted is located somewhere in Asia. FYI: Only USDM 2GNTs got the 420A. Everyone else in the world got a naturally aspirated 4G63. If that 2GNT is a confirmed, USDM vehicle (typically left behind by a US servicemember), it's possible, but it's worth knowing. Most DSMs outside the US were non-turbo, too. And the AWD variants were even more rare. If you see a 1G AWD car anywhere in the world where the Evo was sold, there's a good chance you'll see a US Mitsubishi/Jeep/Eagle/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership decal on it.

EDIT: pictures from last month

EXHIBIT A: 2GNT, factory stock with 4G63

EXHIBIT B: former US servicemember DSM left behind in Germany

@Paul - Did you just say that, if you could do it all over again, you'd drop ten large on a custom gearbox to support 300hp? That's EXTREME! If I could do it all over again, I'd pass on college, find a mentor in a fabrication shop, learn to build race cars, and then go 4D56T.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

I'm pretty sure it'll fit no problem. If I had a 6 speed trans i'd try it.

donkeylips

Quoting DR1665:
Will the Evo gearbox bolt up? No. Is it possible? Yes. But I guess we've beaten that horse.

@citymunky - Can't help but notice the 2GNT you posted is located somewhere in Asia. FYI: Only USDM 2GNTs got the 420A. Everyone else in the world got a naturally aspirated 4G63. If that 2GNT is a confirmed, USDM vehicle (typically left behind by a US servicemember), it's possible, but it's worth knowing. Most DSMs outside the US were non-turbo, too. And the AWD variants were even more rare. If you see a 1G AWD car anywhere in the world where the Evo was sold, there's a good chance you'll see a US Mitsubishi/Jeep/Eagle/Chrysler/Plymouth dealership decal on it.

EDIT: pictures from last month

EXHIBIT A: 2GNT, factory stock with 4G63

EXHIBIT B: former US servicemember DSM left behind in Germany

@Paul - Did you just say that, if you could do it all over again, you'd drop ten large on a custom gearbox to support 300hp? That's EXTREME! If I could do it all over again, I'd pass on college, find a mentor in a fabrication shop, learn to build race cars, and then go 4D56T.

Those look like Galant Mirrors on that 1g.

cheekychimp

Quoting DR1665:
@Paul - Did you just say that, if you could do it all over again, you'd drop ten large on a custom gearbox to support 300hp? That's EXTREME!

Brian, yes I did say that, but let me try to qualify that a bit for my own position. I already own an extremely rare 4.3 final ratio five speed box stolen from a rally car. If you've ever driven a 3.909 ratio box you will know how much that peps up the response of a 2.0 litre, 16G car. Now imagine twice that response, thinking that you are in third only to find out you are in 4th. Yes it really is that good and the only thing that I have driven with better ratios for Hong Kong was the JDM Civic Type R with the six-speed close ratio box. If I used the 4.3 final ratio as a starting point and built a six speed, I could get very close to those same ratios in the VR4.

And that really is it, it isn't just about the power! The car is already very quick. Yes I know in reality it's probably only a low 13 second car at best (I doubt it makes much over 250 to the wheels) but it is still quick enough to hold it's own against 95% of the cars I'll ever meet and I don't think it's worth doing all the other things necessary to compete with the other 5%, ESPECIALLY as most of those cars want to make their point on the highway at 130 mph plus. Everyone who knows anything can tell you that venturing north of 400 hp entails a lot in terms of costs, breakages and loss of drive-ability.

350 hp to the wheels, this custom transmission and a set of diffs would make for a brutally quick car. It IS a lot of money but it's still considerably less than I have spent on my build so far and that 'build' has yet to see pavement. The simple truth is that I could have spent much less and had a car that was both easy to drive and tough enough to be beaten upon with impunity whenever I wanted.

All I'm saying is, looking back, I wish I'd gone another route.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

^
So you're a street racing HK police officer?
Inspector Lee would be disappointed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Jesus_Negros

Havent seen anything new this year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned