The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pressure plate question

thedsmguy

I have a couple plates that i took to a shop to have resurfaced. Both had a bevel on friction surface that was lower in the middle. Is this how a clutch comes? Does it "flatten" out when being used? And if so is it even possible to resurface such a thing? Right now it seems it would wear a disk in a weird way but the disk pulled seemed pretty flat still.

mitsuturbo

Naw man, you should be able to put a straight edge across the surface and it should be dead flat.

Instead of having mine resurfaced, to keep the clutch geometry better in spec, i took a new (cheap) pressure plate in with my old 2600 that had cracks in the friction surface, and had them put the new friction plate on it. Worked great for a few years.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

what are the negative effects of the PP being high on the outside and low on the inside? because once the throw-out bearing presses the teeth on the PP won't that make the friction surface completely flat once again? i have no idea on this subject and would like to know so i can be more knowledgeable.

mitsuturbo

The friction surface is cast iron, if i'm not mistaken. That sh*t's not going to flex. It's going to wear out the the friction disc unevenly.

JNR

Don't underestimate heat and is effect on materials!

4thStroke

Quoting transparentdsm:
what are the negative effects of the PP being high on the outside and low on the inside? because once the throw-out bearing presses the teeth on the PP won't that make the friction surface completely flat once again? i have no idea on this subject and would like to know so i can be more knowledgeable.

If the plate is dished (warped), it will not clamp the friction disc properly, t won't be making full contact with the friction disc. This happened with my twin disc. If with the twin, I was blowing through the clutch right around peak torque, 450ftlbs or so.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned