The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Do I need a valve job?

Vr4junkie

Just took the head off to replace the seals and lap the valves but found this. will I need a valve job? Also can I just replace the valve I have a spare parts motor? Motor was running before I took it out obviously not good but it was running.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

I would like too but kind of low on cash.

transparentdsm

i would do a valve job. if you have a chipped valve it could have grazed the head. if it did that then the valve won't seat properly and you will have to do this all over again, when you have no compression because the valve is opened.

Vr4junkie

Alright might just have to take a trip to there machine shop if they do a valve job do I use the same valves or will I have to use all new ones.

turbowop

WTF? You only took the head off to do the seals and lap the valves? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Did you think your car was running okay with that burned valve? Did it sound like a Subaru? That would make for zero compression in that cylinder...

Have a machine shop rebuild that bish.

Vr4junkie

Well I took out the whole motor because it was burning oil I was going to change the valve seals lap the valves replace the rings and Main and Rod bearings ....haha yea once that cylinder gave out I thought it was just the rings so I ended up pulling the motor cause it wasn't running too good on 3cyls but before I was running normal just had to carry a 5qt jug with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif then that valve gave out.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Quoting vr4junkie:
I would like too but kind of low on cash.

Then stop modifying cars.

holeshotmoe

JB Weld! If that doesn't work just fill in the missing material with a torch, then grind into shape, lap it...
Just kidding of course. Seems like a lot of work to have to do again. But in a dire situation you certainly could try to lap in a used valve. Stop frequently and inspect the seat and valve looking for a consistent sealing surface, i.e., a ring all the way around. You should be able to tell if the seat is warped to badly right away. One possible problem you could experience, among potentially many is if those valves have been reground previously they will be thinner than optimal to start, causing them to get hotter which could bring you full circle. But I've been where you are, especially when I was a kid.. having done similar things to minibike and gokart engines with success /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts