The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stuck in two gears?

Barnes

So I'm working on a local lady's GVR4 and I'm not sure what is going on. The car ran absolutely perfect until about a month ago. The car is parked on her inclined driveway, and she tried to back out to go some where. The car wouldn't move in reverse. She shifted into other gears to try and move it, and nothing. She then put it back into reverse, and it got stuck in reverse. So right now the car is stuck in reverse. You can't physically take it out of reverse. However, when you start the car and try to move the car, it doesn't. The clutch starts to engage and the engine bogs. So I figure it's one of two things:

1)The brakes are badly seized, and somehow she managed to get it into reverse and preload the gears so much you can't get it out. I think this is unlikely.

2)Somehow a roll pin fell out of a shift fork or something and the car is now stuck in two gears.

The lady that drives this car drives it super mellow. So I doubt she broke anything. I plan on taking a look at the car in a week and checking to see if the brakes are seized. Any other thoughts on what this might be?

holeshotmoe

Disengaging the clutch would relieve any binding in the trans against locked brakes. But if the brakes (or emergency brakes) were locked, I could see where with a fully functional transmission it would bog. However, the fact that you can't get it out of reverse points to trans. If one of the shifter cables broke, I don't see how that would cause a lockup since it's really only the one arm toward the front that shifts the six different positions. I believe reverse is the front arm all the way up and toward the front. See if that's where it's stuck and if you can operate it up/down and front/rear freely. May give a clue. What about transfer case recall fix. You could jack one wheel at a time and try to rotate them independently.

Terry Posten

I would look at the t-case as well.

curtis

Pop the hood and disconnect the two shift cables. Center them both and push in the clutch and start if you release the clutch and the motor bogs you have a broken shift fork or pin that has came out. I rebuilt mine and two weeks later while going down a busy 4 lane in front of FT Campbell it wouldn't come out of 3rd. Made it home pulled it out and went through it again. I now always thread a piece of .041 safety wire through any roll pin.

Barnes

I tried moving the shift lever by hand to get it out of reverse. No luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts