The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pump runs while car off

transparentdsm

so i got 1365 back together and running correctly(brother-in-law finally got money together and will soon be taking it home) and for some reason when i turn off the car the pump continues to run for around 30 or so seconds then shuts off. does anyone have any idea what this could be? i was thinking the MPI relay may be going but not 100% sure. has anyone experienced anything like this and found the fix? i did some searching and came up with nothing if you know of any search spots i may have missed please let me know. i looked under every key combination i could think of to get it. would love some help before i start to tear into it so im not hunting for it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Is the pump re-wired?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Interesting. To go along with Toybreaker's line of thought...there is a relay that keeps the window switches and sunroof hot for 30 seconds after ignition shutoff. Some cross wiring perhaps?

holeshotmoe

Continuing with Toybreaker and Iceman: Turn it off then immediately open the door. This should zero the 30 second timer. See if the pump shuts off.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

thank you all, yeah the pump is re-wired and there is no turbo timer in it. it has a stage 3 keydiver chip ets front mount 560 evo's and evo mas, other then that pushing 13 lbs of boost and everything else is stock. i will try the door thing. i think i had the door open when i turned the car off.. the rewire could have been done wrong. i didnt do it, i bought the car with everything it has already on it.

on another note, i did also just swap out the ecu for a different one because it was bad.
could the ecu have anything to do with it?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Could be if someone has put in jumpers or something (repaired ECU), because it is the ECU that holds the ground for the MPI relay thus running the fuel pump. I would be looking at that rewire though.

transparentdsm

i don't know what happened but just went out to the car and it didn't do it today. it was idle hunting for a second then smoothed out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned